The economy of Spain in the eurozone before and after the crisis of 2008
AbstractIn common with the other periphery countries that joined the euro-zone in 1998-2000, Spain enjoyed ten years of economic prosperity, essentially debt-financed. The financial crisis of 2008 has revealed deep structural problems in the euro-zone, but also among Spain’s fiscally autonomous regions, which differ from the financial problems faced by the other European periphery countries. But the Spanish problems with de-leveraging suggest further difficulties for the euro-zone as it attempts to implement sterner budgetary controls over member states.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 37008.
Date of creation: 20 Feb 2012
Date of revision:
autonomous regions; Balassa-Samuelson effect; de-leveraging; euro; sovereign bonds;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aizenman, Joshua & Hutchison, Michael & Jinjarak, Yothin, 2013.
"What is the risk of European sovereign debt defaults? Fiscal space, CDS spreads and market pricing of risk,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 37-59.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Hutchison, Michael & Jinjarak, Yothin, 2011. "What is the Risk of European Sovereign Debt Defaults? Fiscal Space, CDS Spreads and Market Pricing of Risk," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt2914v9fh, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Joshua Aizenman & Michael M. Hutchison & Yothin Jinjarak, 2011. "What is the Risk of European Sovereign Debt Defaults? Fiscal Space, CDS Spreads and Market Pricing of Risk," NBER Working Papers 17407, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.