The economic transition and migration of Vietnam and the Mekong Delta region
AbstractRelationship between economic transition and migration has long attracted increasing attention of both policy-makers and researchers. Migration is seen as a response of changes during the economic transition in a country, because labour is an important production factor in the market, in which labourers have a desire to move to a place of better working conditions rather than going to a disadvantaged conditions (De Haas, 2010; Todaro, 1980).In this paper I extend this discussion by examining how effects of economic transition on internal migration since the late 1980s. This idea aims at gaining a broader insight into the relationship between economic transition and migration during the renovation process
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 36387.
Date of creation: Dec 2011
Date of revision:
Economic transition; migration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A10 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - General
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIG-2012-02-20 (Economics of Human Migration)
- NEP-TRA-2012-02-20 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Van Nam, M. & Lensink, R., 2008. "Economic Development of the Mekong Delta in Vietnam," CDS Research Reports CDS-27, University of Groningen, Centre for Development Studies (CDS).
- Moock, Peter R. & Patrinos, Harry Anthony & Venkataraman, Meera, 2003. "Education and earnings in a transition economy: the case of Vietnam," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 503-510, October.
- Rives, Janet M. & Heaney, Michael T., 1995. "Infrastructure and Local Economic Development," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 25(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.