The Effectiveness of international investment instruments on the amount of foreign investment (a case study of Iran)
AbstractThis is an analytical study which aims to gauge the extent to which international treaties have been effective in directing foreign investment to Iran. The two types of treaties studied here include Bilateral Investment Treaties and Double Taxation Agreements. Data as to the amount of investment in Iran as well as some information regarding the domestic investment regulatory framework in Iran is presented. The country has experienced widely different attitudes towards investment in the last 30 years because of its domestic political changes and, of course, in response to international developments. Upon recovering from the initial nationalistic shock of the 1979 revolution, Iran has engaged in many international instruments in the last 15 years and has also made several changes to its domestic fiscal and investment laws to provide foreign investors with a more favourable investment climate. These attempts have partly succeeded in the sense that there has generally been an upward trend in the amount of foreign investment channelled to Iran since 1994. This amount, however, is still much lower than is the norm for a country of the size and natural resources of Iran. Through investigating different impediments to foreign investment in the country, the study finds that overwhelmingly political and non-legal factors such as the relationship between Iran and the West and the attitude of the Iranian administrations to international trade carry much greater weight than merely concluding treaties. Despite this, the number of treaties concluded could be a good indicator of the political climate of the country at any given time and it can be seen that the government’s plans for attraction of foreign investment have always been clearly more successful throughout periods when more treaties were signed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 36317.
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Foreign direct investment in Iran; Bilateral investment treaties; Double taxation treaties; impediments to foreign investment in Iran; Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Act of Iran;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E00 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomström, Magnus & Lipsey, Robert E & Zejan, Mario, 1993.
"Is Fixed Investment the Key to Economic Growth?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
870, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomström, Magnus & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1998.
"Technology, Transfer and Spillovers: Does Local Participation With Multinationals Matter?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Sjoholm, Fredrik, 1999. "Technology transfer and spillovers: Does local participation with multinationals matter?1," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 915-923, April.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Fredrik Sjoholm, 1998. "Technology Transfer and Spillovers? Does Local Participation with Multinationals Matter?," NBER Working Papers 6816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomström, Magnus & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1998. "Technology Transfer and Spillovers: Does Local Participation with Multinationals Matter?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 268, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Laura Alfaro & Selin Sayek & Areendam Chanda, 2002.
"FDI and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets,"
- Alfaro, Laura & Chanda, Areendam & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sayek, Selin, 2004. "FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Alfaro, Laura & Chanda, Areendam & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sayek, Selin, 2010. "Does foreign direct investment promote growth? Exploring the role of financial markets on linkages," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 242-256, March.
- Nir Dagan & Roberto Serrano & Oscar Volij, 1999.
"Feasible Implementation of Taxation Methods,"
Economic theory and game theory
009, Nir Dagan.
- Nir Dagan & Roberto Serrano & Oscar Volij, 1995. "Feasible Implementation of Taxation Methods," Working Papers 95-14, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Volij, Oscar & Dagan, Nir & Serrano, Roberto, 1999. "Feasible Implementation of Taxation Methods," Staff General Research Papers 5246, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Robert C. Feenstra & Carl H. Hahn & George N. Hatsopoulos, 1999.
"The Role of Foreign Direct Investment in International Capital Flows,"
in: International Capital Flows, pages 307-362
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2000. "The Role of Foreign Direct Investment in International Capital Flows," NBER Working Papers 7094, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jennifer Tobin & Susan Rose-Ackerman, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Business Environment in Developing Countries: the Impact of Bilateral Investment Treaties," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 587, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Kokko, Ari, 1994. "Technology, market characteristics, and spillovers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 279-293, April.
- Xu, Bin, 2000. "Multinational enterprises, technology diffusion, and host country productivity growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 477-493, August.
- Mary O'Mahony & Dr Michela Vecchi, 2002. "Do Intangible Investments Affect Companies' Productivity Performance?," NIESR Discussion Papers 141, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Dinda, Soumyananda, 2009.
"Factors determining FDI in Nigeria: an empirical investigation,"
40172, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 16 Jul 2012.
- Dinda, Soumyananda, 2008. "Factors Determining FDI to Nigeria: An Empirical Investigation," MPRA Paper 28097, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2010.
- Mary Hallward-Driemeier, 2003. "Do bilateral investment treaties attract foreign direct investment? Only a bit - and they could bite," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3121, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.