Bienenfeld’s approximation of production prices and eigenvalue distribution: some more evidence from five European economies
AbstractThis paper tests Bienenfeld’s polynomial approximation of production prices using data from ten symmetric input-output tables of five European economies. The empirical results show that the quadratic formula works extremely well and its accuracy is connected to the actual distribution of the eigenvalues of the matrices of vertically integrated technical coefficients.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 36282.
Date of creation: 30 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Bienenfeld’s approximation; Damping ratio; Eigenvalue distribution; Empirical evidence; Production prices;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B51 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - Socialist; Marxian; Sraffian
- D46 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Value Theory
- D57 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Input-Output Tables and Analysis
- C67 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Input-Output Models
- E11 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Marxian; Sraffian; Institutional; Evolutionary
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Theodore Mariolis & George Soklis, 2011. "On constructing numeraire-free measures of price--value deviation: a note on the Steedman--Tomkins distance," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 613-618.
- Theodore Mariolis & Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 0. "Decomposing the Changes in Production Prices into "Capital-Intensity" and "Price" Effects: Theory and Evidence from the Chinese Economy ," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(1), pages 1-22.
- Schefold, Bertram, 2008. "C.E.S. production functions in the light of the Cambridge critique," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 783-797, June.
- Mariolis, Theodore & Tsoulfidis, Lefteris, 2010.
"Eigenvalue distribution and the production price-profit rate relationship in linear single-product systems: theory and empirical evidence,"
43716, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Theodore Mariolis & Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2010. "Eigenvalue Distribution and the Production Price-Profit Rate Relationship in Linear Single-Product Systems: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Discussion Paper Series 2010_16, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Nov 2010.
- Albert E. Steenge & Mark J. P. M. Thissen, 2005. "A New Matrix Theorem: Interpretation in Terms of Internal Trade Structure and Implications for Dynamic Systems," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 71-94, 02.
- Lefteris Tsoulfidis & Theodore Mariolis, 2007. "Labour Values, Prices of Production and the Effects of Income Distribution: Evidence from the Greek Economy," Economic Systems Research, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 425-437.
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1995.
"Theory of Production,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521443258, October.
- T Mariolis & G Soklis, 2010. "Additive Labour Values and Prices: Evidence from the Supply and Use Tables of the French, German and Greek Economies," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 15(2), pages 87-107, September.
- Bienenfeld, Mel, 1988. "Regularity in Price Changes as an Effect of Changes in Distribution," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 247-55, June.
- Theodore Mariolis & Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2010. "Measures Of Production Price-Labour Value Deviation And Income Distribution In Actual Economies: A Note," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 701-710, November.
- Steedman, Ian & Tomkins, Judith, 1998. "On Measuring the Deviation of Prices from Values," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(3), pages 379-85, May.
- Mariolis, Theodore & Tsoulfidis, Lefteris, 2012. "On Bródy’s conjecture: facts and figures from the US economy," MPRA Paper 43719, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mariollis, Theodore, 2012. "Goodwin’s Growth Cycle Model with the Bhaduri-Marglin Accumulation Function," MPRA Paper 40738, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:mcd:mcddps:2012_06 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.