Eigenvalue distribution and the production price-profit rate relationship in linear single-product systems: theory and empirical evidence
AbstractA typical finding in many empirical studies is that the production price-profit rate relationship is, by and large, monotonic. This paper derives, in terms of the usual single-product model, the spectral conditions that make possible the appearance of such monotonicity. Furthermore, using data from input-output tables for a number of countries and years, it examines the extent to which actual economies fulfil those spectral conditions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 43716.
Date of creation: Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Eigenvalue Distribution; Production Prices; Spectral Analysis; Standard Systems;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D46 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Value Theory
- B51 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - Socialist; Marxian; Sraffian
- D57 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Input-Output Tables and Analysis
- C67 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Input-Output Models
- E11 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Marxian; Sraffian; Institutional; Evolutionary
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1995.
"Theory of Production,"
Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press,
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521443258.
- Albert Steenge, 1995. "Sraffa and Goodwin: A unifying framework for standards of value in the income distribution problem," Journal of Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 62(1), pages 55-75, February.
- Garegnani, P, 1970. "Heterogeneous Capital, the Production Function and the Theory of Distribution," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 407-36, July.
- Schefold, Bertram, 2008. "C.E.S. production functions in the light of the Cambridge critique," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 783-797, June.
- Aruka, Yuji, 1991. "Generalized Goodwin's theorems on general coordinates," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 69-91, June.
- Theodore Mariolis & Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 0. "Decomposing the Changes in Production Prices into "Capital-Intensity" and "Price" Effects: Theory and Evidence from the Chinese Economy ," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(1), pages 1-22.
- Ian Steedman, 1999. "Values Do Follow a Simple Rule!," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 5-14.
- Steedman, Ian & Tomkins, Judith, 1998. "On Measuring the Deviation of Prices from Values," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(3), pages 379-85, May.
- Albert E. Steenge & Mark J. P. M. Thissen, 2005. "A New Matrix Theorem: Interpretation in Terms of Internal Trade Structure and Implications for Dynamic Systems," Journal of Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 71-94, 02.
- Zonghie Han & Bertram Schefold, 2006. "An empirical investigation of paradoxes: reswitching and reverse capital deepening in capital theory," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(5), pages 737-765, September.
- Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2008. "Price-value deviations: further evidence from input-output data of Japan," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(6), pages 707-724.
- Theodore Mariolis & Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2010. "Measures Of Production Price-Labour Value Deviation And Income Distribution In Actual Economies: A Note," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 701-710, November.
- Bienenfeld, Mel, 1988. "Regularity in Price Changes as an Effect of Changes in Distribution," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 247-55, June.
- Jaromir Cekota, 1988. "Technological Change in Canada (1961-80): An Application of the Surrogate Wage Function," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(2), pages 348-58, May.
- Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2002. "Values, prices of production and market prices: some more evidence from the Greek economy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(3), pages 359-369, May.
- Mariolis, Theodore, 2003. "Controllability, Observability, Regularity, and the so-called Problem of Transforming Values into Prices of Production," MPRA Paper 24043, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Garegnani, P, 1970. "Heterogeneous Capital, the Production Function and the Theory of Distribution: Reply," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 439, July.
- Parys, Wilfried, 1982. "The Deviation of Prices from Labor Values," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1208-12, December.
- Bidard, Christian & Salvadori, Neri, 1995. "Duality between prices and techniques," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 379-389, June.
- Mainwaring, L., 1978. "The interest rate equalisation theorem with nontraded goods," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 11-19, February.
- Iliadi, Fotoula & Mariolis, Theodore & Soklis, George & Tsoulfidis, Lefteris, 2012. "Bienenfeld’s approximation of production prices and eigenvalue distribution: some more evidence from five European economies," MPRA Paper 36282, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.