Crop diversification and risk: an empirical analysis of Indian states
AbstractThe current study explores relationship between the crop diversification and risk in India. Herfindahl Index has been used to analyse the level of crop diversification across the major states over the period of study. An effort has been made to compute yield risk and price risk of each state using the Markowitz's Mean-variance theory and map it with the crop diversification for the corresponding states. Result shows that, while the relationship is positive in the case of crop-diversification and yield risk, we cannot conclude the relationship between crop diversification and price risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 35947.
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
crop diversification; farm risk; yield risk; farm price risk; agriculture risk;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rao, P. Parthasarathy & Birthal, P. S. & Joshi, P. K. & Kar, D., 2004. "Agricultural diversification in India and role of urbanization," MTID discussion papers 77, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Birthal, Pratap Singh & Joshi, P.K. & Roy, Devesh & Thorat, Amit, 2007. "Diversification in Indian agriculture towards high-value crops: The role of smallholders," IFPRI discussion papers 727, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Firdu Gemech & Sushil Mohan & Alan Reeves & John Struthers, 2011. "Market-Based Price-Risk Management: Welfare Gains for Coffee Producers from Efficient Allocation of Resources," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 49-68.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.