The puzzle of privately-imposed price limits: are the limits imposed by financial exchanges effective?
AbstractSome of the world’s largest futures exchanges impose daily limits on the price movements of individual contracts. Using data from three of the most active US commodity futures contracts, we show that these price restrictions are largely ineffective because traders are able to take similar positions using other contracts. When price limits become binding on the futures market, the associated (but unrestricted) options market becomes the price discovery market: much of the trading that would have occurred on the futures market migrates to the options market, and options prices accurately predict the (unconstrained) futures price the next day. We also show that the presence of options mitigates the effect of price limits on information revelation by documenting that futures markets reflect more accurate information on days following limit hits when the associated options were trading on the previous day. Overall, our evidence suggests that price limits in US futures markets have little effect on prices when options markets exist.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 35927.
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Price limits; Regulatory evasion; Put-call parity; Satellite market; Price discovery;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Veld-Merkoulova, Yulia V., 2003. "Price limits in futures markets: effects on the price discovery process and volatility," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 311-328.
- Chou, Pin-Huang & Lin, Mei-Chen & Yu, Min-Teh, 2005. "Risk aversion and price limits in futures markets," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 173-184, September.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Kim, Kenneth & Rhee, S Ghon, 1997. " Price Limit Performance: Evidence from the Tokyo Stock Exchange," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 885-99, June.
- Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 1994. " Circuit Breakers and Market Volatility: A Theoretical Perspective," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 237-54, March.
- Frech, H E, III & Lee, William C, 1987. "The Welfare Cost of Rationing-by-Queuing across Markets: Theory and Estimates from the U.S. Gasoline Crises," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(1), pages 97-108, February.
- Brennan, Michael J., 1986. "A theory of price limits in futures markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 213-233, June.
- Lehmann, B.N., 1989. "Commentary: Volatility, Price Resolution, And The Effectiveness Of Price Limits," Papers t9, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Barone-Adesi, Giovanni & Whaley, Robert E, 1987. " Efficient Analytic Approximation of American Option Values," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 301-20, June.
- Shanker, Latha & Balakrishnan, Narayanaswamy, 2005. "Optimal clearing margin, capital and price limits for futures clearinghouses," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1611-1630, July.
- Ma, C.K. & Rao, R.P. & Sears, R.S., 1989. "Volatility, Price Resolution, And The Effectiveness Of Price Limits," Papers t7, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Erzo F. P. Luttmer, 2003.
"The Misallocation of Housing Under Rent Control,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1027-1046, September.
- Ramaswamy, Krishna & Sundaresan, Suresh M, 1985. " The Valuation of Options on Futures Contracts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1319-40, December.
- William G. Christie & Shane A. Corwin & Jeffrey H. Harris, 2002. "Nasdaq Trading Halts: The Impact of Market Mechanisms on Prices, Trading Activity, and Execution Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(3), pages 1443-1478, 06.
- Miller, M.H., 1989. "Commentary: Volatility, Prices Resolution, And Effectiveness Of Price Limits," Papers t8, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Grossman, Sanford J, 1988.
"An Analysis of the Implications for Stock and Futures Price Volatility of Program Trading and Dynamic Hedging Strategies,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(3), pages 275-98, July.
- Sanford J. Grossman, 1989. "An Analysis of the Implications for Stock and Futures Price Volatility of Program Trading and Dynamic Hedging Strategies," NBER Working Papers 2357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joan Evans & James M. Mahoney, 1996. "The effects of daily price limits on cotton futures and options trading," Research Paper 9627, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Kate Phylaktis & Manolis Kavussanos & Gikas Manalis, 1999. "Price Limits and Stock Market Volatility in the Athens Stock Exchange," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 5(1), pages 69-84.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.