Assessment of the income situation of households in the Czech Republic
AbstractThe paper deals with the assessment of income situation of households in the Czech Republic. The primary source for the analysis were the data of the survey EU-SILC European Union – Statistics on Income and Living Conditions. The basic variable for the analysis is the level of the household income in 2005–2008. In addition to the decile classification, characteristics such as the average income per one household member, poverty threshold, poverty depth coefficient, Lorenz curve and Gini coefficient. were calculated in order to evaluate the income situation. The results show an increase of the average household income. The Lorenz curve followed by the Gini coefficient demonstrate the uniformity of distribution of income values. The results show a decreasing income differentiation. The poverty threshold was defined on the level of 60% of the median value and with this given threshold, the households were assessed, whether they belong to the ones at the risk of poverty. The results reveal a decreasing number of households at the risk of poverty. The poverty depth coefficient has a stronger explanatory power and shows how far below the poverty threshold the households are, or what is an income deficit of these households. Each category of households at the risk of poverty varies with the depth of poverty. The analysis also provides the results of how the households’ income situation or poverty is perceived by the households themselves.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 33508.
Date of creation: 07 Feb 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Agricultural Economics (Zemědělská ekonomika) 7.57(2011): pp. 322-330
income differentiation of households; households at risk of poverty; material deprivation; perception of the income situation; EU SILC;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J17 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Value of Life; Foregone Income
- R00 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General - - - General
- D10 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stávková, Jana & Stejskal, Ladislav & Nagyová, Ludmila, 2011. "Income differentiation of households in the CR," MPRA Paper 36509, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marcelo Medeiros, 2006. "The Rich and the Poor: The Construction of an Affluence Line from the Poverty Line," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 78(1), pages 1-18, 08.
- Mackenbach, J. P., 1988. "Health and deprivation. Inequality and the North : by P. Townsend, P. Phillimore and A. Beattie (eds.) Croom Helm Ltd, London, 1987 221 pp., ISBN 0-7099-4352-0, [pound sign]8.95," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 207-206, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.