Changes in taxation and their impact on economic growth in the European Union
AbstractThe aim of the paper is to analyze changes in taxation and their impact on economic growth in the European Union. The analysis is performed on adjusted annual panel data of 24 European Union countries in a period 1995–2008. Panel regression with fixed effects is used as a basic method of research. The panel regression is based on analysis the effect of total tax quota changes on GDP growth in model 1, of changes in its components (social contribution, direct and indirect tax quotas) in model 2 and of personal and corporate income tax quota changes in model 3. Results of empirical tests verify statistically significant negative effect of tax burden on GDP growth. Total tax quota increased by 1% decreases the GDP growth rate by 0.29% in the same year. Estimations confirm a statistically significant negative effect of direct taxes on GDP growth as well. A cut in the direct tax quota by 1% raises the GDP growth rate by 0.43%. The model also presents a high negative impact of an increase in the corporate income tax quota on GDP growth (a value of the regression coefficient is minus 1.28%) expresses the high negative. The effect of social contribution quota on GDP growth is not statistically significant in any estimation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 32354.
Date of creation: 17 Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendeleianae Brunensis 2.59(2011): pp. 325-332
taxation; tax burden; economic growth; panel regression;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2011-08-02 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2011-08-02 (European Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2011-08-02 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-FDG-2011-08-02 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-MAC-2011-08-02 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2011-08-02 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- King, Robert G & Rebelo, Sergio, 1990.
"Public Policy and Economic Growth: Developing Neoclassical Implications,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S126-50, October.
- Robert G. King & Sergio Rebelo, 1990. "Public Policy and Economic Growth: Developing Neoclassical Implications," NBER Working Papers 3338, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- King, R.G. & Rebelo, S., 1988. "Public Policy And Economic Growth: Developing Neoclassical Implications," RCER Working Papers 225, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Lee, Young & Gordon, Roger H., 2005. "Tax structure and economic growth," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 89(5-6), pages 1027-1043, June.
- Roderick Hill, 2008. "Optimal taxation and economic growth: a comment," Public Choice, Springer, Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 419-427, March.
- Willi Leibfritz & John Thornton & Alexandra Bibbee, 1997. "Taxation and Economic Performance," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 176, OECD Publishing.
- Plosser, Charles I., 1992. "The search for growth," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 57-86.
- Romero-Ávila, Diego & Strauch, Rolf, 2008. "Public finances and long-term growth in Europe: Evidence from a panel data analysis," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 172-191, March.
- Igor Kotlan & Zuzana Machova, 2012. "World Tax Index: Methodology and Data," DANUBE: Law and Economics Review, European Association Comenius - EACO, issue 2, pages 19-33, June.
- Zuzana Machova & Igor Kotlan, 2013. "World Tax Index: New Methodology for OECD Countries, 2000-2010," DANUBE: Law and Economics Review, European Association Comenius - EACO, issue 2, pages 165-179, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.