Estimating SUR Tobit Model while errors are gaussian scale mixtures: with an application to high frequency financial data
AbstractThis paper examines multivariate Tobit system with Scale mixture disturbances. Three estimation methods, namely Maximum Simulated Likelihood, Expectation Maximization Algorithm and Bayesian MCMC simulators, are proposed and compared via generated data experiments. The chief finding is that Bayesian approach outperforms others in terms of accuracy, speed and stability. The proposed model is also applied to a real data set and study the high frequency price and trading volume dynamics. The empirical results confirm the information contents of historical price, lending support to the usefulness of technical analysis. In addition, the scale mixture model is also extended to sample selection SUR Tobit and finite Gaussian regime mixtures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 31509.
Date of creation: Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Tobit; Gaussian mixtures; Bayesian;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C34 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Praetz, Peter D, 1972. "The Distribution of Share Price Changes," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(1), pages 49-55, January.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Daniel L. McFadden & Paul Ruud, 1993.
"Simulation of Multivariate Normal Rectangle Probabilities and their Derivatives: Theoretical and Computational Results,"
_024, Yale University.
- Hajivassiliou, Vassilis & McFadden, Daniel & Ruud, Paul, 1996. "Simulation of multivariate normal rectangle probabilities and their derivatives theoretical and computational results," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 85-134.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Allen, Helen, 1992. "The use of technical analysis in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 304-314, June.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Pitt, Mark M, 1986. "Microeconometric Demand Systems with Binding Nonnegativity Constraints: The Dual Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1237-42, September.
- Huang, Cliff J & Sloan, Frank A & Adamache, Killard W, 1987. "Estimation of Seemingly Unrelated Tobit Regressions via the EM Algorithm," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(3), pages 425-30, July.
- Chihwa Kao & Lung-fei Lee & Mark M. Pitt, 2000.
"Simulated Maximum Likelihood Estimation of the Linear Expenditure System with Binding Non-Negativity Constraints,"
CEMA Working Papers
50, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics, revised Apr 2001.
- Chihwa Kao & Lung-fei Lee & Mark M. Pitt, 2001. "Simulated Maximum Likelihood Estimation of the Linear Expenditure System with Binding Non-Negativity Constraints," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 2(1), pages 215-235, May.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1974. "Multivariate Regression and Simultaneous Equation Models when the Dependent Variables Are Truncated Normal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(6), pages 999-1012, November.
- Nobile, Agostino, 2000. "Comment: Bayesian multinomial probit models with a normalization constraint," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 335-345, December.
- Huang, Ho-Chuan (River), 1999. "Estimation of the SUR Tobit model via the MCECM algorithm," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 25-30, July.
- Heien, Dale & Wessells, Cathy Roheim, 1990. "Demand Systems Estimation with Microdata: A Censored Regression Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(3), pages 365-71, July.
- Steven T. Yen & Biing-Hwan Lin, 2008. "Quasi-maximum likelihood estimation of a censored equation system with a copula approach: meat consumption by U.S. individuals," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(2), pages 207-217, 09.
- Wales, T. J. & Woodland, A. D., 1983. "Estimation of consumer demand systems with binding non-negativity constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 263-285, April.
- Wendelin Schnedler, 2005.
"Likelihood Estimation for Censored Random Vectors,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 195-217.
- Keane, Michael P, 1994. "A Computationally Practical Simulation Estimator for Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 95-116, January.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1973. "Regression Analysis when the Dependent Variable is Truncated Normal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 997-1016, November.
- Andrew W. Lo & Harry Mamaysky & Jiang Wang, 2000.
"Foundations of Technical Analysis: Computational Algorithms, Statistical Inference, and Empirical Implementation,"
NBER Working Papers
7613, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo & Harry Mamaysky & Jiang Wang, 2000. "Foundations of Technical Analysis: Computational Algorithms, Statistical Inference, and Empirical Implementation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(4), pages 1705-1770, 08.
- Andrew Lo & Harry Mamaysky & Jiang Wang, 1999. "Foundations of Technical Analysis: Computational Algorithms, Statistical Inference, and Empirical Implementation," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 402, Society for Computational Economics.
- Arslan, Olcay, 2004. "Family of multivariate generalized t distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 329-337, May.
- Butler, J S & Moffitt, Robert, 1982. "A Computationally Efficient Quadrature Procedure for the One-Factor Multinomial Probit Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 761-64, May.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1995. "Hierarchical analysis of SUR models with extensions to correlated serial errors and time-varying parameter models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 339-360, August.
- Mark M. Pitt & Daniel L. Millimet, 1999. "Estimation of Coherent Demand Systems with Many Binding Non-Negativity Constraints," Working Papers 99-4, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Carlos Arias & Thomas Cox, 2001. "Estimation of a US dairy sector model by maximum simulated likelihood," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(9), pages 1201-1211.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Axel Borsch-Supan, 1990.
"Smooth Unbiased Multivariate Probability Simulators for Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Limited Dependent Variable Models,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
960, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Borsch-Supan, Axel & Hajivassiliou, Vassilis A., 1993. "Smooth unbiased multivariate probability simulators for maximum likelihood estimation of limited dependent variable models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 347-368, August.
- J. Scott Shonkwiler & Steven T. Yen, 1999. "Two-Step Estimation of a Censored System of Equations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 972-982.
- Brock, William & Lakonishok, Josef & LeBaron, Blake, 1992.
" Simple Technical Trading Rules and the Stochastic Properties of Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1731-64, December.
- Brock, W. & Lakonishok, J. & Lebaron, B., 1991. "Simple Technical Trading Rules And The Stochastic Properties Of Stock Returns," Working papers 90-22, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Shew-Jiuan Su & Steven Yen, 2000. "A censored system of cigarette and alcohol consumption," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(6), pages 729-737.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.