Patterns of industrial specialisation in post-Unification Italy
AbstractThis paper investigates the patterns of sectoral specialisation in Italian provinces over half a century following the Unification of the country. To this end we propose a multivariate graphical technique named dynamic specialisation biplots. In 1871 specialisation vocations toward the different manufacturing sectors were limited in size and no clear geographical path emerged. A regional specialisation divide resulted clearly in 1911. In 1871 as in 1911 the foodstuffs, the textile, and the engineering sectors represented the three pillars delimiting the arena of the specialisation race. Within that arena, sharp changes in the directions of specialisation trajectories characterise a group of selected Northern provinces, largely attracted by the textile sector from the 1880s and from the engineering sector in the pre-War decade. Within region homogeneity and smooth specialisation trajectories are instead representative of most of the remaining provinces. Among them, Southern provinces exhibit specialisation paths revealing that little more than a composition effect occurred among manufacturing sectors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 30431.
Date of creation: 21 Apr 2011
Date of revision:
manufacturing industry; specilisation; post-Unification Italy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N63 - Economic History - - Manufacturing and Construction - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- N93 - Economic History - - Regional and Urban History - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2011-05-07 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-HIS-2011-05-07 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-URE-2011-05-07 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlo Ciccarelli & Stefano Fenoaltea, 2010.
"Through the Magnifying Glass: Provincial Aspects of Industrial Growth in Post-Unification Italy,"
Quaderni di storia economica (Economic History Working Papers)
4, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Carlo Ciccarelli & Stefano Fenoaltea, 2013. "Through the magnifying glass: provincial aspects of industrial growth in post-Unification Italy," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 66(1), pages 57-85, 02.
- Fenoaltea Stefano, 2004. "Textile production in Italy's regions, 1861-1913," Rivista di storia economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 145-174.
- Fenoaltea,Stefano, 2014.
"The Reinterpretation of Italian Economic History,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9781107658080, April.
- Carlo Ciccarelli & Stefano Fenoaltea, 2009.
"Shipbuilding in Italy, 1861-1913: the burden of the evidence,"
Historical Social Research (Section 'Cliometrics'),
Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), vol. 34(2), pages 333-373.
- Carlo Ciccarelli & Stefano Fenoaltea, 2008. "Shipbuilding in Italy, 1861-1913:The Burden of The Evidence," CEIS Research Paper 137, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 15 Dec 2008.
- Greenacre Michael, 2010. "Biplots in Practice," Books, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation, number 2011113.
- Cohen,Jon & Federico,Giovanni, 2001.
"The Growth of the Italian Economy, 1820–1960,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521661508, April.
- Fenoaltea, Stefano, 2003. "Peeking Backward: Regional Aspects of Industrial Growth in Post-Unification Italy," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 63(04), pages 1059-1102, December.
- Fenoaltea, Stefano, 1988. "International resource flows and construction movements in the atlantic economy: the kuznets cycle in Italy, 1861–1913," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 48(03), pages 605-637, September.
- Fenoaltea, Stefano, 2003. "Notes on the Rate of Industrial Growth in Italy, 1861 1913," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 63(03), pages 695-735, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.