Benoit Mandelbrot (1924 - 2010): A Greek among Romans
AbstractIn this brief note describes the trajectory of the fractal models/multifractal F/M by Benoit Mandelbrot. The promise was discovered by the geometry of Mandelbrot covers a broad area of research fields, from meteorology and mathematical physics to the individual and collective behavior in society, besides his contributions to the analysis of the financial crisis in his wonderful essay on «The (mis) Behavior of Markets. A fractal view of Risk, Ruin and Reward» (2004). Mandelbrot’s arguments have revealed significant anomalies in the prevailing paradigms. Is this a new paradigm in Kuhn’s sense as stated by the same Mandelbrot?
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 29137.
Date of creation: 25 Feb 2011
Date of revision:
Mandelbrot; Fractals; Finance; Financial Markets; Epistemology; Thomas Kuhn.;
Other versions of this item:
- Estrada, Fernando, 2010. "Benoit Mandelbrot 1924 -2010: A Greek among Romans," MPRA Paper 25946, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- B10 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - General
- B0 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - General
- B4 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology
- C70 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - General
- C7 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory
- G00 - Financial Economics - - General - - - General
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- D7 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making
- B16 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Quantitative and Mathematical
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G0 - Financial Economics - - General
- B41 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Economic Methodology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-03-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-EVO-2011-03-12 (Evolutionary Economics)
- NEP-HPE-2011-03-12 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benoit B. Mandelbrot, 2005. "Parallel cartoons of fractal models of finance," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 179-192, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.