Inequality averse criteria for evaluating infinite utility streams: The impossibility of Weak Pareto
AbstractThis paper investigates ethical aggregation of infinite utility streams by representable social welfare relations. We prove that the Hammond Equity postulate and other variations of it like the Pigou-Dalton transfer principle are incompatible with positive responsiveness to welfare improvements by every generation. The case of Hammond Equity for the Future is investigated too.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 27618.
Date of creation: 30 Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Social welfare function; Equity; Inequality aversion; Pareto axiom; Intergenerational justice;
Other versions of this item:
- Alcantud, José Carlos R., 2012. "Inequality averse criteria for evaluating infinite utility streams: The impossibility of Weak Pareto," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 353-363.
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- D90 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-03 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bossert, Walter & Sprumont, Yves & Suzumura, Kotaro, 2007. "Ordering infinite utility streams," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 579-589, July.
- Basu, Kaushik & Mitra, Tapan, 2003.
"Aggregating Infinite Utility Streams with Inter-generational Equity: The Impossibility of Being Paretian,"
03-03, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Kaushik Basu & Tapan Mitra, 2003. "Aggregating Infinite Utility Streams with InterGenerational Equity: The Impossibility of Being Paretian," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1557-1563, 09.
- Toyotaka Sakai, 2006. "Equitable Intergenerational Preferences on Restricted Domains," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 41-54, August.
- Banerjee, Kuntal, 2006. "On the equity-efficiency trade off in aggregating infinite utility streams," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 63-67, October.
- Alcantud, José Carlos R. & García-Sanz, María D., 2010.
"Evaluations of infinite utility streams: Pareto-efficient and egalitarian axiomatics,"
20133, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- José Carlos R. Alcantud & María D. García-Sanz, 2013. "Evaluations of Infinite Utility Streams: Pareto Efficient and Egalitarian Axiomatics," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 432-447, 07.
- Alcantud, José C.R. & García-Sanz, María D., 2010.
"Paretian evaluation of infinite utility streams: An egalitarian criterion,"
Elsevier, vol. 106(3), pages 209-211, March.
- Alcantud, José Carlos R. & García-Sanz, María D., 2007. "Paretian evaluation of infinite utility streams: an egalitarian criterion," MPRA Paper 6324, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Geir Asheim & Tapan Mitra & Bertil Tungodden, 2012.
"Sustainable recursive social welfare functions,"
Springer, vol. 49(2), pages 267-292, February.
- Tjalling C. Koopmans, 1959. "Stationary Ordinal Utility and Impatience," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 81, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Chiaki Hara & Tomoichi Shinotsuka & Kotaro Suzumura & Yongsheng Xu, 2008. "Continuity and egalitarianism in the evaluation of infinite utility streams," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 179-191, August.
- Sakamoto, Norihito, 2012. "Impossibilities Of Paretian Social Welfare Functions For Infinite Utility Streams With Distributive Equity," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 53(2), pages 121-130, December.
- Sakamoto, Norihito, 2011. "Impossibilities of Paretian Social Welfare Functions for Infinite Utility Streams with Distributive Equity," Discussion Papers 2011-09, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.