Does returns to farming depend on Caste? New evidence from India
AbstractThis paper analyses the relationship between net farm income per unit of land cultivated and caste divisions in India using a micro unit recorded and nationally representative survey conducted in 2004-05. Findings suggest that the groups that are generally considered disadvantaged (Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribes) have, after controlling for other factors, substantially lower farm returns compared to the advantaged (Others) castes, whereas the ‘Other Backward Castes’ occupy position in between. Decomposition of overall net farm income inequality using mean-log deviation indicates that caste based inequality forms a substantial part of it. Results call for policies for neutralizing the impact of caste on agricultural returns in addition to the general policy of land redistribution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 26526.
Date of creation: 26 Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Caste; returns to farming; farm income inequality; Caste based inequality; India;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2010-11-20 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2010-11-20 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ira N. Gang & Kunal Sen & Myeong-Su Yun, 2008. "Poverty In Rural India: Caste And Tribe," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(1), pages 50-70, 03.
- Banerjee, Biswajit & Knight, J. B., 1985. "Caste discrimination in the Indian urban labour market," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 277-307, April.
- Foster, James E. & Shneyerov, Artyom A., 2000. "Path Independent Inequality Measures," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 199-222, April.
- K. Sundaram, 2010.
"On Backwardness and Fair Access to Higher Education in India: Some Results from NSS 55th Round Surveys 1999-2000,"
- K. Sundaram, 2006. "On Backwardness And Fair Access To Higher Education In India: Some Results From Nss 55th Round Surveys 1999-2000," Working papers 151, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Somanathan, Rohini, 2007.
"The political economy of public goods: Some evidence from India,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 287-314, March.
- Abhijit Banerjee & Rohini Somanathan, 2004. "The political economy of public goods: Some evidence from India," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 04-17, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Kijima, Yoko, 2006. "Caste and Tribe Inequality: Evidence from India, 1983-1999," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(2), pages 369-404, January.
- Vani K. Borooah, 2005. "Caste, Inequality, and Poverty in India," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 399-414, 08.
- Shorrocks, Anthony & Wan, Guanghua, 2004.
"Spatial Decomposition of Inequality,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Daniele Checchi & Vito Peragine, 2010. "Inequality of opportunity in Italy," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 429-450, December.
- Ashish Singh, 2010. "The Effect of Family Background on Individual Wages and an Examination of Inequality of Opportunity in India," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 230-246, September.
- Sonalde Desai & Veena Kulkarni, 2008. "Changing educational inequalities in india in the context of affirmative action," Demography, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 245-270, May.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1979. "Decomposable Income Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 901-20, July.
- Sarthak Gaurav & Srijit Mishra, 2011. "Size-class and returns to cultivation in India: A Cold case reopened," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2011-027, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.