Banking Sector Integration and Competition in CEMAC
AbstractThis paper considers the extent of retail banking integration in the Communauté Economique et Monétaire d'Afrique Centrale (CEMAC) and the level of bank competition at the regional level. Using a mix of quantitative and qualitative indicators, the paper finds some evidence of price convergence in average interest rate spreads. However, this observed fact is not supported by an increase in cross-border flows in retail loans and deposits, and price convergence may merely reflect excess liquidity in the region. Other data also indicate that bank competition within the CEMAC as a region is limited, complementing the findings on integration. Addressing shortfalls in legal and regulatory frameworks, infrastructure, and markets would facilitate integration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 2011.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Central African Economic and Monetary Community; Banks; Competition; Bank soundness; Financial soundness indicators; Monetary unions; Economic cooperation; CEMAC;
Other versions of this item:
- JÃ©rÃ´me Vacher & Samer Y. Saab, 2007. "Banking Sector Integration and Competition in CEMAC," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 07/3, International Monetary Fund.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2007-03-10 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2007-03-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-03-10 (Banking)
- NEP-COM-2007-03-10 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-DEV-2007-03-10 (Development)
- NEP-MAC-2007-03-10 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amadou N. R. Sy, 2006. "Financial Integration in the West African Economic and Monetary Union," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 06/214, International Monetary Fund.
- David Hauner & Shanaka J. Peiris, 2005. "Bank Efficiency and Competition in Low-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 05/240, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2005. "Competition in Indian Banking," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 05/141, International Monetary Fund.
- Johan Mathisen & Thierry D. Buchs, 2005. "Competition and Efficiency in Banking," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 05/17, International Monetary Fund.
- Jian-Ye Wang & Nisreen H. Farhan & Amar Shanghavi & MÃ¡rcio ValÃ©rio Ronci & Misa Takebe, 2008. "The Choice of Monetary and Exchange Rate Arrangements for a Small, Open, Low-Income Economy," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 08/118, International Monetary Fund.
- Pamphile MEZUI-MBENG, 2012. "Cycle Du Credit Et Cycle Des Affaires Dans Les Pays De La Cemac," Cahiers du CEREFIGE, CEREFIGE (Centre Europeen de Recherche en Economie Financiere et Gestion des Entreprises), Universite de Lorraine 1202, CEREFIGE (Centre Europeen de Recherche en Economie Financiere et Gestion des Entreprises), Universite de Lorraine, revised 2012.
- KAMGNA, Severin Yves & Ndambendia, Houdou, 2008.
"Excès de liquidité systémique et effectivité de la politique monétaire : cas des pays de la CEMAC
[Excess liquidity and monetary policy effectiveness: The case of CEMAC countries]," MPRA Paper 9599, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- KAMGNA, Severin Yves & DIMOU, Leonnel, 2008.
"Efficacité technique des banques de la CEMAC
[Technical efficiency of the banks of the CEMAC]," MPRA Paper 9603, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.