Excès de liquidité systémique et effectivité de la politique monétaire : cas des pays de la CEMAC
[Excess liquidity and monetary policy effectiveness: The case of CEMAC countries]
AbstractThe excess of banks liquidity in the CEMAC zone, following the banking restructuring, brought the monetary authorities to undertake a certain number of reforms. The object of this article is, besides the determination of the explanatory factors of the excess of banks liquidity, to appreciate the efficiency of the transmission mechanisms of the monetary policy. It is evident from results of the evaluation that this phenomenon depends strongly on the economic and financial structures of every CEMAC’s country. To the level of the zone, only the credit to the private sector could reduce the liquidity in excess. In the same way, this situation reduces the efficiency of the monetary channel. This inefficiency of the monetary channel explains itself by the weak adjustment of the rate of the inter-bank market following an expansive monetary policy. These results confirms the necessity for the monetary authorities to implement actions aiming to increase the offer of credit to the private sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 9599.
Date of creation: 30 Jun 2008
Date of revision:
surliquidité; politique monétaire; réserves bancaires; liquidité bancaire; stérilisation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2008-07-30 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2008-07-30 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdelaziz Rouabah, 2007. "Mesure de la vulnérabilité du secteur bancaire luxembourgeois," BCL working papers 24, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- JÃ©rÃ´me Vacher & Samer Y. Saab, 2007.
"Banking Sector Integration and Competition in CEMAC,"
IMF Working Papers
07/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Saab, Samer & Vacher, Jerome, 2007. "Banking Sector Integration and Competition in CEMAC," MPRA Paper 2011, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ayse Ertugrul & Jerome Hericourt & Julien Reynaud, 2005. "Fonction de reaction et politique monetaire en changes fixes : une nouvelle formulation appliquee a la Turquie," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 103, pages 97-119.
- P.R. Agenor & J. Aizenman & A. Hoffmaister, 2000.
"The Credit Crunch in East Asia: What can Bank Excess Liquid Assets Tell us?,"
NBER Working Papers
7951, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Aizenman, Joshua & Hoffmaister, Alexander W., 2004. "The credit crunch in East Asia: what can bank excess liquid assets tell us?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 27-49, February.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Aizenman, Joshua & Hoffmaister, Alexander, 2000. "The credit crunch in East Asia : what can bank excess liquid assets tell us ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2483, The World Bank.
- International Monetary Fund, 2007. "Implications of Oil Inflows for Savings and Reserve Management in the Cemac," IMF Working Papers 07/243, International Monetary Fund.
- Gauti B. Eggertsson & Jonathan David Ostry, 2005. "Does Excess Liquidity Pose a Threat in Japan?," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 05/5, International Monetary Fund.
- Benoît Mojon & Virginie Coudert & Fernando Barran, 1995.
"Transmission de la politique monétaire et crédit bancaire. Une application à trois pays de l'OCDE,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(2), pages 393-413.
- Fernando Barran & Benoît Mojon & Virginie Coudert, 1995. "Transmission de la politique monétaire et crédit bancaire. Une application à trois pays de l'OCDE," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 46(2), pages 393-413.
- Francis Y. Kumah, 2007. "A Markov-Switching Approach to Measuring Exchange Market Pressure," IMF Working Papers 07/242, International Monetary Fund.
- Inese Buzeneca & Rodolfo Maino, 2007. "Monetary Policy Implementation," IMF Working Papers 07/7, International Monetary Fund.
- Baltensperger, Ernst, 1974. "The Precautionary Demand for Reserves," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(1), pages 205-10, March.
- Christopher Adam & Stephen O'Connell & Edward Buffie & Catherine Pattillo, 2009.
"Monetary Policy Rules for Managing Aid Surges in Africa,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(s1), pages 464-490, 08.
- Adam, Christopher S. & Buffie, Edward & O'Connell, Stephen & Pattillo, Catherine, 2008. "Monetary Policy Rules for Managing Aid Surges in Africa," Working Paper Series RP2008/77, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Edward F. Buffie & Stephen A. O'Connell & Catherine A. Pattillo & Christopher Adam, 2007. "Monetary Policy Rules for Managing Aid Surges in Africa," IMF Working Papers 07/180, International Monetary Fund.
- Christopher Adam & Stephen O’Connell & Edward Buffie, 2007. "Monetary Policy Rules For Manging Aid Surges In Africa," WEF Working Papers 0016, ESRC World Economy and Finance Research Programme, Birkbeck, University of London.
- Magnus Saxegaard, 2006. "Excess Liquidity and the Effectiveness of Monetary Policy," IMF Working Papers 06/115, International Monetary Fund.
- Gouteron, S. & Szpiro, D., 2005. "Excès de liquidité monétaire et prix des actifs," Working papers 131, Banque de France.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Alain Ize & Miguel A. Kiguel, 2005. "Managing Systemic Liquidity Risk in Financially Dollarized Economies," IMF Working Papers 05/188, International Monetary Fund.
- Poole, William, 1976. "A Proposal for Reforming Bank Reserve Requirements in the United States," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 8(2), pages 137-47, May.
- Emilio Sacerdoti, 2005. "Access to Bank Credit in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 05/166, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.