Nonzero-sum Stochastic Games
AbstractThis paper treats of stochastic games. We focus on nonzero-sum games and provide a detailed survey of selected recent results. In Section 1, we consider stochastic Markov games. A correlation of strategies of the players, involving ``public signals'', is described, and a correlated equilibrium theorem proved recently by Nowak and Raghavan for discounted stochastic games with general state space is presented. We also report an extension of this result to a class of undiscounted stochastic games, satisfying some uniform ergodicity condition. Stopping games are related to stochastic Markov games. In Section 2, we describe a version of Dynkin's game related to observation of a Markov process with random assignment mechanism of states to the players. Some recent contributions of the second author in this area are reported. The paper also contains a brief overview of the theory of nonzero-sum stochastic games and stopping games which is very far from being complete.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 19995.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision: 1999
average payoff stochastic games; correlated stationary equilibria; nonzero-sum games; stopping time; stopping games;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C6 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling
- C44 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Operations Research; Statistical Decision Theory
- C7 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory
- C73 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Stochastic and Dynamic Games; Evolutionary Games
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MERTENS, Jean-François & PARTHASARATHY, T., .
"Equilibria for discounted stochastic games,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1666, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dutta, P.K., 1991. "What Do Discounted Optima Converge To? A Theory of Discount Rate Asymptotics in Economic Models," RCER Working Papers 264, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Yasuda, M., 1985. "On a randomized strategy in Neveu's stopping problem," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 159-166, December.
- Nowak Andrzej S., 1994. "Zero-Sum Average Payoff Stochastic Games with General State Space," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 221-232, September.
- Forges, Francoise M, 1986.
"An Approach to Communication Equilibria,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1375-85, November.
- Forges, F., 1984. "An approach to communication equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers 1984035, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- FORGES, Françoise, . "An approach to communication equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers RP -721, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- F. Forges, 2010. "An Approach to Communication Equilibrium," Levine's Working Paper Archive 516, David K. Levine.
- Ioannis Karatzas & Martin Shubik & William D. Sudderth, 1992. "Construction of Stationary Markov Equilibria in a Strategic Market Game," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1033, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Vrieze, O J & Thuijsman, F, 1989. "On Equilibria in Repeated Games with Absorbing States," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 293-310.
- Christopher Harris, 1991. "The Existence of Subgame-Perfect Equilibrium in Games with Simultaneous Moves," Working papers 570, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- P. Herings & Ronald Peeters, 2010.
"Homotopy methods to compute equilibria in game theory,"
Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 119-156, January.
- Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Peeters, Ronald, 2006. "Homotopy Methods to Compute Equilibria in Game Theory," Research Memorandum 046, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Page, F.H., 1994. "Optimal Auction Design with Risk Aversion and Correlated Information," Discussion Paper 1994-109, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Mabel M. TIDBALL & Eitan ALTMAN, 1994. "Approximations In Dynamic Zero-Sum Games," Game Theory and Information 9401001, EconWPA.
- Łukasz Balbus & Kevin Reffett & Łukasz Woźny, 2013. "Markov Stationary Equilibria in Stochastic Supermodular Games with Imperfect Private and Public Information," Dynamic Games and Applications, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 187-206, June.
- Anna Jaśkiewicz & Andrzej Nowak, 2011. "Stochastic Games with Unbounded Payoffs: Applications to Robust Control in Economics," Dynamic Games and Applications, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 253-279, June.
- Yehuda (John) Levy, 2012. "A Discounted Stochastic Game with No Stationary Nash Equilibrium," Discussion Paper Series dp596r, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, revised May 2012.
- Shmaya, Eran & Solan, Eilon, 2004.
"Zero-sum dynamic games and a stochastic variation of Ramsey's theorem,"
Stochastic Processes and their Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 319-329, August.
- Ehud Lehrer & Eilon Solan, 2003. "Zero-sum Dynamic Games and a Stochastic Variation of Ramsey Theorem," Discussion Papers 1375, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Eilon Solan & Nicolas Vieille, 2000. "Uniform Value in Recursive Games," Discussion Papers 1293, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Anna Krasnosielska-Kobos & Elżbieta Ferenstein, 2013. "Construction of Nash Equilibrium in a Game Version of Elfving’s Multiple Stopping Problem," Dynamic Games and Applications, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 220-235, June.
- Janusz Matkowski & Andrzej Nowak, 2011.
"On discounted dynamic programming with unbounded returns,"
Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 455-474, April.
- Matkowski, Janusz & Nowak, Andrzej S., 2008. "On Discounted Dynamic Programming with Unbounded Returns," MPRA Paper 12215, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elżbieta Ferenstein, 2007. "Randomized stopping games and Markov market games," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 66(3), pages 531-544, December.
- Yuri Kifer, 2012. "Dynkin Games and Israeli Options," Papers 1209.1791, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.