Proposals for a new audit liability regime in Europe
AbstractThe past few years have seen a growing trend towards the focus on audit liability. In the UK, the Company Law Reform Bill which became the Companies Act 2006, has removed the previously existing limits on auditor liability and compelled an agreement between the company and the auditor. As well as the UK, audit liability caps also currently exist in Austria, Belgium, Germany, Greece and Slovenia. This paper addresses the four options presented by the European Commission in the reform of the audit liability regime in Europe. It also responds to the proposals put forward by Doralt and others in their response to the European Commission’s four options. The paper commences with a background to how increased audit concentration has contributed to increased audit liability measures. It then discusses the significance of the Companies Act 2006, following the leading case of Caparo Industries plc v Dickman and Others. The four options presented by the European Commission for reforming auditors’ liability regime are then introduced. In arriving at a preferred choice, the need for a consideration of harmonisation and facilitating greater cooperation between national financial regulators, were contributory factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 19242.
Date of creation: Jul 2009
Date of revision:
audit; liability; financial; regulation;
Other versions of this item:
- Ojo, Marianne, 2008. "Proposals For A New Audit Liability Regime In Europe," MPRA Paper 10068, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- L5 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy
- K2 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law
- M42 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Auditing
- M4 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2009-12-19 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2009-12-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2009-12-19 (European Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.