Financing Development in Africa: Trends, Issues and Challenges
AbstractAccess to finance is critical to successful development in Africa. This paper presents recent trends in various aspects of development finance and provides a critical assessment of the costs of meeting the Millennium Development Goals in the region. It also examines recent proposals for financing the MDGs. Furthermore, it examines the key international commitments made to Africa as well as the extent to which donors have fulfilled these commitments. Finally, it examines issues and challenges arising from recent initiatives on aid and debt.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 1815.
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Development; Finance; MDGs; Africa; Trends;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catherine Pattillo & Hélène Poirson & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2011.
"External Debt and Growth,"
Review of Economics and Institutions, Università di Perugia,
Università di Perugia, vol. 2(3).
- Paul Collier & Jan Willem Gunning, 1998.
"Explaining African economic performance,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/1997-02.2, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Nannyonjo, Justine, 2001. "The HIPC Debt Relief Initiative: Uganda's Social Sector Reforms and Outcomes," Working Paper Series, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- William Easterly & Ross Levine & David Roodman, 2003. "New Data, New doubts: A Comment on Burnside and Dollar's "Aid, Policies, and Growth" (2000)," NBER Working Papers 9846, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanjeev Gupta & Catherine A. Pattillo & Smita Wagh, 2006. "Are Donor Countries Giving More or Less Aid?," IMF Working Papers 06/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter S. Heller, 2005. "Understanding Fiscal Space," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 05/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Miller, Margaret J. & Swanson, Eric V., 2002. "Goals for development : history, prospects and costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2819, The World Bank.
- Sanjay G. Reddy & Antoine Heuty, 2006. "Achieving the Millennium Development Goals: What’s wrong with existing analytical models?," Working Papers, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs 30, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Cooper, Richard, 2005. "A Half-Century of Development," Scholarly Articles 3677048, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Steve Radelet, 2006. "A Primer on Foreign Aid," Working Papers, Center for Global Development 92, Center for Global Development.
- Osakwe, Patrick N., 2006. "Emerging Issues and Concerns of African Countries in the WTO Negotiations on Agriculture and the Doha Round," MPRA Paper 1850, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sanjeev Gupta & Catherine Pattillo & Smita Wagh, 2006. "Are Donor Countries Giving More or Less Aid?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 535-552, 08.
- François Bourguignon & Mark Sundberg, 2006. "Constraints to Achieving the MDGs with Scaled-Up Aid," Working Papers, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs 15, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Robert Lensink & Oliver Morrissey, 2000. "Aid instability as a measure of uncertainty and the positive impact of aid on growth," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 31-49.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.