L'ombre de la crise
[The shadow of the global crisis]
AbstractThis book aims to study the consequences of the subprime crisis for New Caledonia, a French overseas Pacific territory. The situation of New-Caledonia is specific in many ways, since this territory is undergoing an institutional process of emancipation from France. On the first hand, New Caledonia is protected from the consequences of the crisis thanks to the financial transfers from France which slow down the external constraint. But, on the other hand, New Caledonia is also weakened by many factors: • Its main resources, nickel exportations, have experienced a sharp price fall due to the crisis. • New-Caledonia's indirect taxation highligts under-development (New-Caledonia has not implemented a value-added tax yet). Consequently, tariffs are a major tool to collect tax revenue thus making New-Caledonia a protectionist country with small markets and high prices. • The social inequalities are a serious problem. Theses weaknesses make unlikely for New Caledonia not to suffer from the global crisis. In the first part of the book, the formation and spreading of the subprime crisis are presented with a pedagogical concern. The second part presents the consequences of the crisis for the New Caledonia (and more generally for a small island country), especially from the financial point of view, but also considering the risks induced by a fall of the purchasing power and the rise of social inequalities. The book concludes with the possibility and opportunity of a fiscal policy in the specific context of a small island territory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 17871.
Date of creation: May 2009
Date of revision:
Subprime crisis; small island territory; fiscal policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O23 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Development
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- O56 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Oceania
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E65 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Studies of Particular Policy Episodes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christoph Wunder & Johannes Schwarze & Gerhard Krug & Bodo Herzog, 2006.
"Welfare Effects of the Euro Cash Changeover,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
646, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Gérard CHAMBAS, 2005. "Afrique au Sud du Sahara : quelle stratégie de transition fiscale ?," Working Papers 200501, CERDI.
- Keen, M. & Ligthart, J.E., 2004.
"Coordinating Tariff Reduction and Domestic Tax Reform under Imperfect Competition,"
2004-78, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Michael Keen & Jenny E. Ligthart, 2005. "Coordinating Tariff Reduction and Domestic Tax Reform under Imperfect Competition," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 385-390, 05.
- Pål Ulla, 2006. "Assessing Fiscal Risks through Long-term Budget Projections," OECD Journal on Budgeting, OECD Publishing, vol. 6(1), pages 127-187.
- Barro, Robert J., 1979.
"On the Determination of the Public Debt,"
3451400, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Michael Keen & Johanna Elisabeth Ligthart, 1999.
"Coordinating Tariff Reduction and Domestic Tax Reform,"
IMF Working Papers
99/93, International Monetary Fund.
- Keen, Michael & Ligthart, Jenny E., 2002. "Coordinating tariff reduction and domestic tax reform," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 489-507, March.
- Rastoin, J.L., 2006. "Le système alimentaire mondial est-il soluble dans le développement durable ?," Working Papers MOISA 200605, UMR MOISA : Marchés, Organisations, Institutions et Stratégies d'Acteurs : CIHEAM-IAMM, CIRAD, INRA, Montpellier SupAgro, IRD - Montpellier, France.
- Bohn, Henning, 1990. "Tax Smoothing with Financial Instruments," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1217-30, December.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Stiglitz, J. E., 1976. "The design of tax structure: Direct versus indirect taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 55-75.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.