Development of Industrial Cluster
AbstractAfter the 18th century India has been creating a ground for the SSI industry and they started taking shape of clusters. Headings Introduction and Background provides a bird’s eye view on the background of SSI clusters in India. Chapter one sets forth the literature that is relevant to understand the concept behind successful industry clusters. An effort is made to take a look at factors embedded in regional economies of and concept behind the SSIs clusters. Chapter Two focuses on the peculiarity of sickness in Indian SSI clusters taking an example of UNIDO’s cluster reformation program. Next Chapter Three is based on research and findings on famous Textile cluster of India, Tirupur. Later, Chapter Four of this paper integrates discussions on various elements of the Tirupur industry cluster based on interviews findings with entrepreneurs, using one particular industry cluster in achieving development. It deals with the some elements of Tirupur Cluster that is not paid attention to under the common cluster development program. Chapter Five highlights the selected and major policy implications affecting the SSIs clusters and finally there is the conclusion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 171.
Date of creation: 28 Sep 2005
Date of revision: 30 Sep 2005
Industry Cluster; Development; Economics; Small Scale Industry;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-12-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2006-12-04 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-CWA-2006-12-04 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2006-12-04 (Development)
- NEP-HIS-2006-12-04 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-PPM-2006-12-04 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-URE-2006-12-04 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cawthorne, Pamela M., 1995. "Of networks and markets: The rise and rise of a South Indian town, the example of Tiruppur's cotton knitwear industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 43-56, January.
- H.M. Nihal Padmasiri, 2011. "The Role of Human Capital in the Development Process of Industrial Clusters: Evidence from Metalworking Clusters in Sri Lanka," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 30(1), pages 109-117, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.