Long-Run Impacts of Inflation Tax in the Presence of Multiple Capital Goods
AbstractThis paper examines the long-run impact of inflation tax in the context of a generalized Ak growth model in which the production technology uses two types of capital stocks under a constant-returns-to-scale technology. We find hat unless investment expenditure for each type of capital is subject to the same degree of cash-in-advance constraint, a change in the money growth rate affects the steady-state level of factor intensity. It is shown that if the balanced-growth path is uniquely given, we still have a negative long-run relationship between money growth and the growth rate of real income. However, due to the endogenous determination of the factor intensity, the negative relation between the velocity of money and the rate of inflation may not be established.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 16964.
Date of creation: Jun 2009
Date of revision:
maintenance expenditures; endogenous Growth; cash-in-advance constraint; inflation tax;
Other versions of this item:
- Seiya Fujisaki & Kazuo Mino, 2009. "Long-Run Impacts of Inflation Tax in the Presence of Multiple Capital Goods," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 1644-1652.
- O42 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Monetary Growth Models
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2009-09-05 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2009-09-05 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2009-09-05 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2009-09-05 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2007:i:11:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Suen, Ming-Hon & Yip, Chong K., 2005.
"Superneutrality, indeterminacy and endogenous growth,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 579-595, December.
- Ming Hon Suen & Chong K. Yip, 2001. "Superneutrality, Indeterminacy, and Endogenous Growth," Departmental Working Papers _136, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Chen, Shu-Hua & Guo, Jang-Ting, 2008. "Velocity of money, equilibrium (in)determinacy and endogenous growth," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1085-1096, September.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2008:i:13:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sailesh K. Jha & Ping Wang & Chong K.Yip, 2000.
"Dynamics in a Transactions-Based Monetary Growth Model,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0005, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Jha, Sailesh K. & Wang, Ping & Yip, Chong K., 2002. "Dynamics in a transactions-based monetary growth model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 611-635, April.
- Jun-ichi Itaya & Kazuo Mino, 2005.
"Technology, Preference Structure, and the Growth Effect of Money Supply,"
Discussion Papers in Economics and Business
05-35, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Itaya, Jun-Ichi & Mino, Kazuo, 2007. "Technology, Preference Structure, And The Growth Effect Of Money Supply," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 589-612, November.
- Jang-Ting Guo & Shu-Hua Chen, 2008. "On the growth and velocity effects of money," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(13), pages 1-7.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:5:y:2004:i:2:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Seiya Fujisaki & Kazuo Mino, 2010.
"Long-Run Impacts of Inflation Tax with Endogenous Capital Depreciation,"
AccessEcon, vol. 30(1), pages 808-816.
- Fujisaki, Seiya & Mino, Kazuo, 2009. "Long-Run Impacts of Inflation Tax with Endogenous Capital Depreciation," MPRA Paper 16657, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.