Genuine savings with adjustment costs
AbstractIn this paper, we consider how genuine savings would be altered if the adjustment costs of capitals are taken into account in the stylized capitalresource model. It is shown that, in order to derive the modified genuine savings, through shadow prices, the original genuine savings have to be divided by the marginal adjustment costs of the capital in question. This implies that economies with volatile savings harbor hidden costs even if they are judged as sustainable by conventional genuine savings indicators.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 16347.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
genuine savings; adjustment costs; sustainable development; natural capital;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- World Bank, 2008. "World Development Indicators 2008," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 11855, October.
- Uzawa,Hirofumi, 2003. "Economic Theory and Global Warming," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521823869, October.
- Sato, Masayuki & Samreth, Sovannroeun, 2008. "Assessing Sustainable Development by Genuine Saving Indicator from Multidimensional Perspectives," MPRA Paper 9996, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pearce, David W. & Atkinson, Giles D., 1993. "Capital theory and the measurement of sustainable development: an indicator of "weak" sustainability," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 103-108, October.
- Hamilton, Kirk & Clemens, Michael, 1999. "Genuine Savings Rates in Developing Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 333-56, May.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2007. "A Review of the Stern Review on the Economics of Climate Change," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 45(3), pages 686-702, September.
- Kenneth Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003.
"Evaluating Projects and Assessing Sustainable Development in Imperfect Economies,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(4), pages 647-685, December.
- Kenneth Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003. "Evaluating Projects and Assessing Sustainable Development in Imperfect Economies," Working Papers 2003.109, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Uzawa, H, 1969. "Time Preference and the Penrose Effect in a Two-Class Model of Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 628-52, Part II, .
- Duczynski, Petr, 2002. "Adjustment costs in a two-capital growth model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 837-850, May.
- Partha Dasgupta, 2009. "The Welfare Economic Theory of Green National Accounts," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 42(1), pages 3-38, January.
- Robert E. Lucas & Jr., 1967. "Adjustment Costs and the Theory of Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 321.
- Russell W. Cooper & John C. Haltiwanger, 2006.
"On the Nature of Capital Adjustment Costs,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 73(3), pages 611-633.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 2007. "A Review of the Stern Review on the Economics of Climate Change," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 45(3), pages 703-724, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.