Robustness of Bayesian results for Inverse Gaussian distribution under ML-II epsilon-contaminated and Edgeworth Series class of prior distributions
AbstractThis paper aims to study the sensitivity of Bayes estimate of location parameter of an Inverse Gaussian (IG) distribution to misspecification in the prior distribution. It also studies the effect of misspecification of the prior distribution on two-sided predictive limits for a future observation from IG population. Two prior distributions, a class ML-II ε-contaminated and Edgeworth Series (ESD), are employed for the location parameter of an IG distribution, to investigate the effect of misspecification in the priors. The numerical illustrations suggest that moderate amount of misspecification in prior distributions belonging to the class of ML-II ε-contaminated and ESD does not affect the Bayesian results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15396.
Date of creation: 17 May 2009
Date of revision:
Bayesian results; Inverse Gaussian distribution; ML-II ε-contaminated prior; Edgeworth Series Distributions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C44 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Operations Research; Statistical Decision Theory
- C02 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Mathematical Economics
- C46 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Specific Distributions
- A10 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - General
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aase, Knut K., 2000. "An equilibrium asset pricing model based on Lévy processes: relations to stochastic volatility, and the survival hypothesis," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 345-363, December.
- Whitmore, G. A., 1976. "Management applications of the inverse gaussian distribution," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 215-223.
- Pankaj Sinha & Ashok Bansal, 2008. "Bayesian optimization analysis with ML-II ε-contaminated prior," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 203-211.
- James Berger & Elías Moreno & Luis Pericchi & M. Bayarri & José Bernardo & Juan Cano & Julián Horra & Jacinto Martín & David Ríos-Insúa & Bruno Betrò & A. Dasgupta & Paul Gustafson & Larry Wass, 1994. "An overview of robust Bayesian analysis," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 5-124, June.
- Saralees Nadarajah & Samuel Kotz, 2007. "Inverse Gaussian random variables with application to price indices," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(9), pages 673-677.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.