Estimating the intensity of price and non-price competition in banking: an application to the Spanish case
AbstractWe model bank oligopoly behaviour using price and non-price competition as strategic variables in an expanded conjectural variations framework. Rivals can respond to changes in both loan and deposit market prices as well as (non-price) branch market shares. The model is illustrated using data for Spain which, over 1986-2002, eliminated interest rate and branching restrictions and set off a competitive race to lock-in expanded market shares. Banks use both interest rates and branches as strategic variables and both have changed over time. We illustrate the results using a regional vs. a national specification for the relevant markets. (97 words)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15259.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
non-price competition; banking; market shares;
Other versions of this item:
- Carbó Valverde Santiago & Fernández de Guevara Radoselovics Juan & Humphrey David & Maudos Villarroya Joaquín, 2005. "Estimating the intensity of price and non-price competition in banking: an application to the Spanish case," Working Papers 201023, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joaquin Maudos, 1998.
"Market structure and performance in Spanish banking using a direct measure of efficiency,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 191-200.
- Joaquín Maudos Villarroya, 1996. "Market structure and performance in Spanish banking using a direct measure of efficiency," Working Papers. Serie EC 1996-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Valverde, S. Carbo & Humphrey, David B. & Fernandez, F. Rodriguez, 2003. "Bank deregulation is better than mergers," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 429-449, December.
- Vittoria Cerasi & Barbara Chizzolini & Marc Ivaldi, 2002.
"Branching and competition in the European banking industry,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 34(17), pages 2213-2225.
- Cerasi, Vittoria & Chizzolini, Barbara & Ivaldi, Marc, 2002. "Branching and Competition in the European Banking Industry," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2001.
"Competition, Concentration and their Relationship: an EmpiricalAnalysis of the Banking Industry,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
68, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Haaf, Katharina, 2002. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: An empirical analysis of the banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2191-2214, November.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 30, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Kim, Moshe & Vale, Bent, 2001. "Non-price strategic behavior: the case of bank branches," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(10), pages 1583-1602, December.
- Corvoisier, Sandrine & Gropp, Reint, 2002.
"Bank concentration and retail interest rates,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2155-2189, November.
- Lucio Fuentelsaz & Jaime Gomez, 2001. "Strategic and Queue effects on Entry in Spanish Banking," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 529-563, December.
- Santiago Carbo Valverdie & David Humphrey & Francisco Rodriguez Fernandez, 2003. "Deregulation, Bank Competition and Regional Growth," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 227-237.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2004.
"Factors explaining the interest margin in the banking sectors of the European Union,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2259-2281, September.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Fernandez de Guevara, Juan, 2003. "Factors Explaining the Interest Margin in the Banking Sectors of the European Union," MPRA Paper 15252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, November.
- Lucio Fuentelsaz, 1996. "Dinámica de la competencia entre cajas de ahorros españolas," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 20(1), pages 125-141, January.
- Barros, Pedro Pita, 1995. "Post-entry expansion in banking: The case of Portugal," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 593-611, December.
- Pinho, Paulo Soares de, 2000. "The impact of deregulation on price and non-price competition in the Portuguese deposits market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(9), pages 1515-1533, September.
- Coccorese, Paolo, 2005. "Competition in markets with dominant firms: A note on the evidence from the Italian banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1083-1093, May.
- Canhoto, Ana, 2004. "Portuguese banking: A structural model of competition in the deposits market," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1-2), pages 41-63.
- Enrique Benito, 2008. "Size, growth and bank dynamics," Banco de EspaÃÂ±a Working Papers 0801, Banco de EspaÃ±a.
- Juan Fernandez de Guevara & Joaquin Maudos, 2009.
"Regional Financial Development and Bank Competition: Effects on Firms' Growth,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 43(2), pages 211-228.
- Fernandez de Guevara, Juan & Maudos, Joaquin, 2009. "Regional Financial Development and Bank Competition: Effects on Firms' Growth," MPRA Paper 15256, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alin Marius Andrieş & Bogdan Căpraru, 2012. "Competition and efficiency in EU27 banking systems," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 12(1), pages 41-60, July.
- Solís, Liliana & Maudos, Joaquín, 2008. "The social costs of bank market power: Evidence from Mexico," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 467-488, September.
- Juan Ayuso & Jorge Martínez, 2006. "Assessing banking competition: an application to the Spanish market for (quality-changing) deposits," Banco de EspaÃÂ±a Working Papers 0623, Banco de EspaÃ±a.
- Raquel Lago-González & Vicente Salas-Fumás, 2005. "Market power and bank interest rate adjustments," Banco de EspaÃÂ±a Working Papers 0539, Banco de EspaÃ±a.
- Liliana Solís & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya, 2007.
"Deregulation, Liberalization And Consolidation Of The Mexican Banking System: Effects On Competition,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2007-13, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Maudos, Joaquín & Solís, Liliana, 2011. "Deregulation, liberalization and consolidation of the Mexican banking system: Effects on competition," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 337-353, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.