Demand analysis of food in Malaysia: A study of Malay ethnic
AbstractThe objective of this study is to provide an insight into demand patterns of the Malay consumers for specific food categories in Malaysia. By utilizing Household Expenditure Survey 2004/2005, a system of equations of Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System (LA/AIDS) model for 12 aggregated food products is estimated using a two-step estimation procedure. A Working-leser form of Engel function is also estimated to derive income elasticities from the estimated expenditure elasticities. This study shows that Malay consumers appear to have different food consumption patterns as compared to the general Malaysian diets. Malay consumers tend to increase their consumption of rice more than higher-value (meat and fish) and functional (vegetables and fruits) foods. Malay consumers are found to be very sensitive to the own-price of most of the food products, especially rice (-2.0241).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15064.
Date of creation: 28 Jul 2008
Date of revision:
Food; Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System; Engel function;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-05-09 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-SEA-2009-05-09 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Asche & Cathy R. Wessells, 1997. "On Price Indices in the Almost Ideal Demand System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1182-1185.
- X. M. Gao & Thomas Spreen, 1994. "A Microeconometric Analysis of the U.S. Meat Demand," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 42(3), pages 397-412, November.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, December.
- Wen S. Chern & Kimiko Ishibashi & Kiyoshi Taniguchi & Yuki Tokoyama, 2002. "Analysis of Food Consumption Behavior by Japanese Households," Working Papers 02-06, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Eric J. Wailes & Gail L. Cramer, 1997. "A Microeconometric Analysis of Consumer Taste Determination and Taste Change for Beef," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 573-582.
- John L. Park & Rodney B. Holcomb & Kellie Curry Raper & Oral Capps, 1996. "A Demand Systems Analysis of Food Commodities by U.S. Households Segmented by Income," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 290-300.
- Alston, Julian M & Foster, Kenneth A & Green, Richard D, 1994. "Estimating Elasticities with the Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System: Some Monte Carlo Results," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 351-56, May.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Tey Yeong Sheng & Mad Nasir Shamsudin & Zainalabidin Mohamed & Amin Mahir Abdullah & Alias Radam, 2008. "A Complete Demand System of Food in Malaysia," The IUP Journal of Agricultural Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(3), pages 17-29, July.
- Pomboza, Ruth & Mbaga, Msafiri Daudi, 2007. "The Estimation of Food Demand Elasticities in Canada," Economic and Market Information 52705, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.