Demand analyses of food in Malaysia: Effects of model specification and demographic variables
AbstractDemand analyses of food are deemed important to provide up-to-date indications of the demand behavior in future. This study is to determine which the model specification, as well as analyze the effects of demographic and socio-economic factors on of food demand in Malaysia. Household Expenditure Survey 2004/2005 data is analyzed by using Working Leser, Linear Engel model (LEM), Quadratic Engel model (QEM), and Linear Approximate Demand System (LA/AIDS). The empirical shows that LEM and QEM provide better results, in term of adjusted R2 and rationality of expenditure elasticities. Also, demographic variables improve the performance of all the selected models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15063.
Date of creation: 20 Oct 2008
Date of revision:
demand analyses; food; Malaysia; expenditure elasticity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-05-09 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-SEA-2009-05-09 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Akira Ishida & Siong-Hook Law & Yoshihisa Aita, 2003. "Changes in food consumption expenditure in Malaysia," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 61-76.
- Blundell, Richard & Pashardes, Panos & Weber, Guglielmo, 1993. "What Do We Learn About Consumer Demand Patterns from Micro Data?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 570-97, June.
- Patrick J. Byrne & Oral Capps & Atanu Saha, 1996. "Analysis of Food-Away-from-Home Expenditure Patterns for U.S. Households, 1982–89," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 614-627.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1998. "Semiflexible Almost Ideal Demand System, The," Staff General Research Papers 1193, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, Giancarlo, 1998. "The semiflexible almost ideal demand system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 349-364, February.
- Tey Yeong Sheng & Mad Nasir Shamsudin & Zainalabidin Mohamed & Amin Mahir Abdullah & Alias Radam, 2008. "A Complete Demand System of Food in Malaysia," The IUP Journal of Agricultural Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(3), pages 17-29, July.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Newey, Whitney K. & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Powell, James L., 1991. "Identification and estimation of polynomial errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 273-295, December.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- J. A. Hausman & W. K. Newey & J. L. Powel, 1988.
"Nonlinear Errors in Variables: Estimation of Some Engel Curves,"
504, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, J. A. & Newey, W. K. & Powell, J. L., 1995. "Nonlinear errors in variables Estimation of some Engel curves," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 205-233, January.
- Richard Blundell & Alan Duncan & Krishna Pendakur, 1998. "Semiparametric estimation and consumer demand," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(5), pages 435-461.
- Frank Asche & Cathy R. Wessells, 1997. "On Price Indices in the Almost Ideal Demand System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1182-1185.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1991. "The Rank of Demand Systems: Theory and Nonparametric Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 711-30, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.