External debt sustainability and domestic debt in Heavily Indebted Poor Countries
AbstractIn this paper we stress the limits of the current debt sustainability framework used in the IMF-WB HIPC Initiative and the necessity to include domestic public debt into the analysis. The standard sustainability analysis does not take into account the fully-fledged budget constraint and the feedback effects of the fiscal and monetary adjustment required by multilateral programs. The switch from foreign to domestic borrowing, and rising domestic real interest rates are likely to undermine the overall sustainability and the success of debt relief programs. This work focuses on the evaluation of public debt sustainability in a simple accounting framework. We use data on external public debt (multilateral and bilateral) and on domestic public debt to underline how the inclusion of domestic debt into the analysis undermines the sustainability target.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 1396.
Date of creation: May 2006
Date of revision:
HIPC; Domestic debt; Debt sustainability; Debt Relief;
Other versions of this item:
- M. Arnone & A. F. Presbitero, 2007. "External Debt Sustainability and Domestic Debt in Heavily Indebted Poor Countries," Rivista Internazionale di Scienze Sociali, Vita e Pensiero, Pubblicazioni dell'Universita' Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, vol. 115(2), pages 187-213.
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kraay, Aart & Nehru, Vikram, 2004.
"When is external debt sustainable?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3200, The World Bank.
- World Bank & International Monetory Fund, 2001. "Developing Government Bond Markets : A Handbook," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13865, October.
- Cuddington, John T., 1997.
"Analyzing the sustainability of fiscal deficitsin developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1784, The World Bank.
- John T. Cuddington, 1997. "Analysing the Sustainability of Fiscal Deficits in Developing Countries," International Finance 9706001, EconWPA.
- Jakob Christensen, 2004. "Domestic Debt Markets in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 04/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Philippe Beaugrand & Montfort Mlachila & Boileau Loko, 2002. "The Choice Between External and Domestic Debt in Financing Budget Deficits," IMF Working Papers 02/79, International Monetary Fund.
- Craig Burrnside, 2005. "Fiscal Sustainability in Theory and Practice : A Handbook," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7495, October.
- William Easterly, 2002. "The Elusive Quest for Growth: Economists' Adventures and Misadventures in the Tropics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262550423, December.
- Andrea F. Presbitero, 2009.
"Debt-Relief Effectiveness and Institution-Building,"
Development Policy Review,
Overseas Development Institute, vol. 27(5), pages 529-559, 09.
- Andrea Filippo Presbitero, 2009. "Debt Relief Effectiveness and Institution Building," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 15, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Presbitero, Andrea F., 2008. "Debt Relief Effectiveness and Institution Building," MPRA Paper 12597, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrea Filippo Presbitero, 2009. "The 2008-2009 Financial Crisis and the HIPCs: Another Debt Crisis?," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 29, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Maria Cipollina, 2007. "The developing countries’ foreign debt in the last twenty years," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 3, July.
- Ahmad Danu Prasetyo & Naoyuki Yoshino, 2013. "Improving the Government Debt Market Quality by Determining the Optimal Structure of Government Debt Portfolio," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2012-038, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.