308 Billion Euros into the Sand? The Debacle of the EU's Regional Policy [308 Milliarden Euro in den Sand? Zum Debakel der EU-Regionalpolitik]
AbstractWith a budget of 308 billion euros, the EU structural funds are alongside agriculture (418 billion euros) the largest item of the EU budget. 12 percent of the funds, according to the Court of Accountability of the European Parliament end up in wrong channels, and in the international press critical voices abound. There is also increasing doubt about the social efficiency of the EU's regional program among professional economists, like Dall'Erba and Heidenreich. Our politometric analysis on the basis of the Info Regio data provided by the Commission shows that in each enlargement wave, the rich regions benefitted more than the poor ones, and that important predictors of regional convergence - like balancing work and family life - are not at all being properly taken into account by the Commission - in both analytical as well as practical political terms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 10609.
Date of creation: 18 Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Economic integration; International Relations and International Political Economy; Social Security and Public Pensions; Regional Economic Activity Growth; Development; and Changes; Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
- F5 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sandy Dall’erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2007. "The Impact of EU Regional Support on Growth and Employment," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 57(7-8), pages 324-340, September.
- Sandy Dall'Erba & Marco Percoco & Gianfranco Piras, 2008. "The European Regional Growth Process Revisited," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 7-25.
- Sandy Dall'erba & Marco Percoco, 2003. "North-south disparities, complementarity and competition within Italy," SCIENZE REGIONALI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2003(2).
- Julie Le Gallo & Catherine Baumont & Sandy Dall'erba & Cem Ertur, 2005. "On the property of diffusion in the spatial error model," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(9), pages 533-536.
- Julie LE GALLO & Sandy DALL'ERBA & Yiannis KAMARIANAKIS & Maria PLOTNIKOVA, 2003. "Les Différentiels De Productivité Régionale Dans Les Pays En Transition Par Rapport A L'Union Européenne : Le Cas De La Pologne, De La Hongrie Et De La République Tchèque," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 18, pages 111-129.
- Sandy Dall’erba, 2005. "Productivity convergence and spatial dependence among Spanish regions," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 207-227, 06.
- Sandy DALL'ERBA & Julie LE GALLO, 2005. "Dynamique Du Processus De Convergence Régionale En Europe," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 21, pages 119-139.
- Bitter, Chris & Mulligan, Gordon & Dall'erba, Sandy, 2006. "Incorporating spatial variation in housing attribute prices: A comparison of geographically weighted regression and the spatial expansion method," MPRA Paper 1379, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christopher Bitter & Gordon Mulligan & Sandy Dall’erba, 2007. "Incorporating spatial variation in housing attribute prices: a comparison of geographically weighted regression and the spatial expansion method," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 7-27, April.
- Sandy Dall’erba & Rachel Guillain & Julie Le Gallo, 2008. "Fonds structurels, effets de débordement géographique et croissance régionale en Europe," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(1), pages 241-269.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.