Total Factor Productivity in the Malaysian Resource-Based Industries
AbstractThis paper will focus on the issues of total factor productivity growth (TFPG) for both 3 and 5-digit level and the performance of resource-based industries (RBIs) in Malaysia for the period 1981-1997. By using the neoclassical Cobb-Douglas production function and traditional growth accounting methodology (Solow-residual) with time discrete Tornqvist weighted value share index, the TFPG estimation for both classifications shows an interesting pattern in terms of sign and fundamental composition. The development of RBIs during the period under study is mostly input driven (moving towards a capital intensive industry), where supply effect of unskilled labour assimilates to the underlying value added growth over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 1010.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Resource based industry in Malaysia; total factor productivity;
Other versions of this item:
- Rozilee Asid & Mohd Safri Saiman, 2006. "Total Factor Productivity in the Malaysian Resource-Based Industries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(16), pages 1-8.
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nishimizu, Mieko & Robinson, Sherman, 1984. "Trade policies and productivity change in semi-industrialized countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 177-206.
- Menon, Jayant, 1998. "Total factor productivity growth in foreign and domestic firms in Malaysian manufacturing," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 251-280.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.