Risk Analysis in Investment Appraisal
AbstractThe methodology and uses of Monte-Carlo simulation technique are presented as applied to the analysis and assessment of risk in the evaluation of investment projects. The importance of risk analysis in investment appraisal is highlighted and the stages in the process introduced. The results generated by a risk analysis application are interpreted, including the investment decision criteria and measures of risk based on the expected value concept. Conclusions are drawn regarding the usefulness and limitations of risk analysis in investment appraisal.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 10035.
Date of creation: Mar 1994
Date of revision: 14 Aug 2008
Publication status: Published in Project Appraisal 1.Volume(1994): pp. 3-18
risk analysis; investment appraisal; Monte Carlo simulation; project evaluation; measures of risk; investment decision criteria;
Other versions of this item:JEL classification:
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-08-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-PPM-2008-08-21 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-RMG-2008-08-21 (Risk Management)
- NEP-UPT-2008-08-21 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- MIGARA JAYAWARDENA & Glenn Jenkins & GANGADHAR SHUKLA, 1999. "Control Of Water And Coastal Pollution An Appraisal For Espirito,Brazil," Development Discussion Papers 1999-04, JDI Executive Programs.
- Georgios Tziralis & Konstantinos Kirytopoulos & Athanasios Rentizelas & Ilias Tatsiopoulos, 2009. "Holistic investment assessment: optimization, risk appraisal and decision making," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(6), pages 393-403.
- Lenz, Rainer, 2008. "The Logic of Merger and Acquisition Pricing," MPRA Paper 26627, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Glenn Jenkins & Chun-Yan Kuo & Arnold C. Harberger, 2011. "Cost-Benefit Analysis for Investment Decisions: Chapter 6 (Dealing With Uncertainty and Risk in Investment Appraisal)," Development Discussion Papers 2011-06, JDI Executive Programs.
- Savvides, Savvakis C., 2000. "Market Analysis and Competitiveness in Project Appraisal," MPRA Paper 9796, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Glenn Jenkins & Tumani Dembajang, . "Integrated Appraisal Of A Regional African Satellite Project," Development Discussion Papers 2005-02, JDI Executive Programs.
- Migara S. Jayawardena & Glenn Jenkins & Mario Marchesini, . "Fourth Fisheries Project In Bangladesh an Integrated Project Analysis," Development Discussion Papers 1998-08, JDI Executive Programs.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.