Public-Private Sector Partnerships In Developing Countries: Are Infrastructures Responding To The New Oda Strategy
AbstractThe developing world needs far more financing for infrastructure than can be provided by domestic public finances alone and through ODA (Official Development Aid). Around middle 1980s a new strategy based on the use of public-private agreements, relying on ODA to enhance the quality of projects, reduce risks and raise profitability was gradually implemented for the provision of infrastructures and public utilities. This paper evaluates the more typical forms of private sector involvement and its actual importance (by type of public utility and by region), and shows that the new strategy has failed in improving the provision of infrastructures in the developing world.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto in its series FEP Working Papers with number 266.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2008
Date of revision:
infrastructures; ODA; outsourcing; public-private partnership; public utilities; regulation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H4 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
- L33 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Comparison of Public and Private Enterprise and Nonprofit Institutions; Privatization; Contracting Out
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2008-02-23 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-DEV-2008-02-23 (Development)
- NEP-PBE-2008-02-23 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PPM-2008-02-23 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-REG-2008-02-23 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Argentino Pessoa, 2009. "Outsourcing And Public Sector Efficiency: How Effective Is Outsourcing In Dealing With Impure Public Goods?," FEP Working Papers 329, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Argentino Pessoa, 2008. "Do the Malthusian fears ever die? A note on the recent increase in food prices," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 17(22), pages 1-11.
- Argentino Pessoa, 2008. "Educational Reform in Developing Countries: Private Involvement and Partnerships," FEP Working Papers 284, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:17:y:2008:i:22:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.