Innovation in the Automotive Sector of the Philippines
AbstractThe performance of the Philippine automotive industry has steadily improved after the Asian crisis. However, relative to the performance of the automotive industry in other countries, the automotive sector in the country has languished. To understand the challenges being faced by the automotive assemblers, as well as parts and components manufacturers, the innovation capability and activities of selected establishments are analyzed following the framework developed by Bessant. This paper finds that despite having an awareness of the importance of technology and upgrading, some of the automotive firms are not able to translate this awareness into other technology activities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philippine Institute for Development Studies in its series Discussion Papers with number DP 2011-17.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Philippines; automotive industry; reserve currency; innovation activities;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-01-10 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2012-01-10 (Innovation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M., 2007.
"Assessing the Competitiveness of the Philippine Auto Parts Industry,"
DP 2007-14, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Rafaelita M. Aldaba, 2007. "Assessing the Competitiveness of the Philippine Auto Parts Industry," Microeconomics Working Papers 22163, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M., 2008.
"Globalization and the Need for Strategic Government-Industry Cooperation in the Philippine Automotive Industry,"
DP 2008-21, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Rafaelita M. Aldaba, 2008. "Globalization and the Need for Strategic Government-Industry Cooperation in the Philippine Automotive Industry," Microeconomics Working Papers 22050, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M., 1997. "Micro Studies: The Philippine Car Assembly Sector," Discussion Papers DP 1997-21, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.