Assessing the Competitiveness of the Philippine Auto Parts Industry
AbstractThe development of the Philippine automotive parts and components sector is critical to the automotive assembly industry. The availability of competitive parts and components that are locally manufactured can significantly contribute to boost the competitiveness of the assembly sector. Given the current state of small and medium manufacturers, making them internationally competitive and linking them with regional production networks are major challenges. Less competitive firms will have to contend with reduced market shares and eventually bankruptcy. The few remaining competitive ones need to define their strategies and the market position that they want to pursue. The government has an important role to play in the firms adjustment process. While increasing economic integration represent market opportunities; penetrating the export market is not easy and does not come automatically. As the firms search for internal ways and exert effort to improve their competitiveness, this must be complemented with active government support.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Microeconomics Working Papers with number 22163.
Date of creation: Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
automotive industry; competitiveness;
Other versions of this item:
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M., 2007. "Assessing the Competitiveness of the Philippine Auto Parts Industry," Discussion Papers DP 2007-14, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- L62 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Automobiles; Other Transportation Equipment
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M., 2008.
"SMEs in the Philippine Manufacturing Industry and Globalization: Meeting the Development Challenges,"
DP 2008-15, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Rafaelita M. Aldaba, 2008. "SMEs in the Philippine Manufacturing Industry and Globalization : Meeting the Development Challenges," Development Economics Working Papers 21955, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Medalla, Erlinda M. & Rosellon, Maureen Ane D., 2012. "ASEAN+1 FTAs and the Global Supply Chain in East Asia: the Case of the Philippine Automotive and Electronics Sectors," Discussion Papers DP 2012-38, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Rafaelita M. Aldaba, 2008.
"Globalization and the Need for Strategic Government-Industry Cooperation in the Philippine Automotive Industry,"
Microeconomics Working Papers
22050, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M., 2008. "Globalization and the Need for Strategic Government-Industry Cooperation in the Philippine Automotive Industry," Discussion Papers DP 2008-21, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Quimba, Francis Mark A. & Rosellon, Maureen Ane D., 2011. "Innovation in the Automotive Sector of the Philippines," Discussion Papers DP 2011-17, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.