ASEAN Rules of Origin: Lessons and Recommendations for Best Practice
AbstractRules of origin (ROO) set the criteria in determining the nationality of a product and where a product was made. The importance of ROO has increased in the past years as more countries engage in free trade agreements (FTAs) and begun treating goods differently according to where the product was made, along with trade-specific preferences or restrictions to the imported good once its origin is determined. This study is done to cull the lessons from ASEAN’s experience in determining and implementing the rules of origin. It draws the important lessons and makes recommendations for best practice that would contribute to the cooperation and integration efforts in the region. The paper examines the various design and implementation practice in ROO regimes, focusing on RTAs where the ASEAN is involved. The paper presents findings from recent studies on the cost of ROO compliance and the FTA utilization rates. It concludes with recommendations on simplification of ROO and some reforms on administrative procedures, bringing in the development country dimension, and some general guidelines to follow to improve ROOs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philippine Institute for Development Studies in its series Discussion Papers with number DP 2009-36.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
ASEAN; rules of origin; free trade agreements (FTAs);
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manchin, Miriam & Pelkmans-Balaoing, Annette O., 2007. "Rules of origin and the web of East Asian free trade agreements," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4273, The World Bank.
- Anson, José & Cadot, Olivier & de Melo, Jaime & Estevadeordal, Antoni & Suwa Eisenmann, Akiko & Tumurchudur, Bolormaa, 2003.
"Rules of Origin in North-South Preferential Trading Arrangements with an Application to NAFTA,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4166, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- José Anson & Olivier Cadot & Antoni Estevadeordal & Jaime de Melo & Akiko Suwa-Eisenmann & Bolormaa Tumurchudur, 2005. "Rules of Origin in North-South Preferential Trading Arrangements with an Application to NAFTA," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 501-517, 08.
- Jose Anson & Olivier Cadot & Antoni Estevadeordal & Jaime de Melo & Akiko Suwa-Eisenmann & Bolorma Tumurchudur, 2004. "Rules of origin in north-south preferential trading arrangements with an application to NAFTA," Research Unit Working Papers 0406, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Carrère, Céline & de Melo, Jaime, 2004.
"Are Different Rules of Origin Equally Costly? Estimates from NAFTA,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4437, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Céline CARRERE & Jaime MELO DE, 2004. "Are Different Rules of Origin Equally Costly? Estimates from NAFTA," Working Papers 200412, CERDI.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1993. "Free Trade Agreements as Protectionist Devices: Rules of Origin," NBER Working Papers 4352, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Medalla, Erlinda M. & Lazaro, Dorothea C., 2006.
"Rules of Origin: Evolving Best Practices for RTAs/FTAs,"
DP 2006-01, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Dorothea C. Lazaro & Erlinda M. Medalla, 2006. "Rules of Origin - Evolving Best Practices for RTAs/FTAs," Trade Working Papers 22006, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kala Krishna & Anne Krueger, 1995. "Implementing Free Trade Areas: Rules of Origin and Hidden Protection," NBER Working Papers 4983, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cadot, Olivier & Carrère, Céline & de Melo, Jaime & Tumurchudur, Bolormaa, 2005. "Product Specific Rules of Origin in EU and US Preferential Trading Agreements: An Assessment," CEPR Discussion Papers 4998, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- K.N. Harilal & P.L. Beena, 2003. "The WTO agreement on rules of origin: Implications for South Asia," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 353, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Medalla, Erlinda M. & Rosellon, Maureen Ane D., 2012. "Rules of Origin in ASEAN+1 FTAs and the Value Chain in East Asia," Discussion Papers DP 2012-37, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.