Rules of origin and development of regional production network in Asia: case studies of selected industries
AbstractRules of Origin (RoO) are essential part of trade rules that become very important in the context of increasing globalisation of production process. Most industrial goods today incorporate inputs from a wide variety of countries (e.g. automobiles, electronic goods etc) and when traded it becomes important to determine their country of origin as tariffs depend on country of origin. The current study performs a critical investigation of RoO in selected regional trade agreements (RTAs) in the Asia Pacific region, and has made attempts to study linkages with intra-regional trade in some sectors such as textiles, electronics in the form of integrated circuits, and automobile components.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada. in its series Working Papers with number 10111.
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in ARTNeT website
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.unescap.org/tid/artnet/
Rules of origin; international production network; free trade agreement; preferential trade agreement;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-01-18 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-SEA-2012-01-18 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cadot, Olivier & Estevadeordal, Antoni & Suwa Eisenmann, Akiko, 2005.
"Rules of Origin as Export Subsidies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4999, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Masahiro Kawai & Ganeshan Wignaraja, 2009. "The Asian â€œNoodle Bowlâ€:Is It Serious for Business?," Working Papers id:1936, eSocialSciences.
- Manchin, Miriam & Pelkmans-Balaoing, Annette O., 2007. "Rules of origin and the web of East Asian free trade agreements," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4273, The World Bank.
- Olivier Cadot & Jaime de Melo & Antoni Estevadeordal & Akiko Suwa-Eisenmann & Bolormaa Tumurchudur, 2002. "Assessing the effect of NAFTA's rules of origin," Research Unit Working Papers 0306, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yann Duval).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.