Technology Diffusion or Capital Accumulation? An Empirical Assessment of Convergence in Manufacturing
AbstractIn this paper I consider 28 developed and developing countries, in the period 1980- 1995, and I employ the Within Group and the Generalized Method of Moments estimators to test, respectively, for Total Factor Productivity determinants and labor productivity convergence driving forces (i.e.capital accumulation and technological catch-up) in different manufacturing sectors, identified according the technological content of their production. Moreover, I test for inter-sectoral and cross-country heterogeneity of labor productivity convergence tendencies. My results show that technology growth rate is enhanced by technological transfer, in all manufacturing sectors and countries, and that cross-country convergence is determined by technology diffusion rather than capital accumulation. Further, I find that the rate of technological convergence appears higher in emerging economies, particularly in High Tech sectors. Finally, tertiary education seems to be relatively more important, as absorptive capability, than secondary one.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods in its series Quaderni di Dipartimento with number 114.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Via S. Felice, 5 - 27100 Pavia
Web page: http://dipartimenti.unipv.eu/on-dip/epmq/Home.html
More information through EDIRC
Classical and Technological Convergence; Absorption Capabilities; Technological Gap; TFP growth; Manufacturing sectors; Panel data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rachel Griffith & Stephen Redding & John Van Reenen, 2004.
"Mapping the Two Faces of R&D: Productivity Growth in a Panel of OECD Industries,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(4), pages 883-895, November.
- Griffith, Rachel & Redding, Stephen J & Van Reenen, John, 2000. "Mapping The Two Faces Of R&D: Productivity Growth In A Panel Of OECD Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 2457, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rachel Griffith & Stephen Redding & John Van Reenen, 2000. "Mapping the Two Faces of R&D: Productivity Growth in a Panel of OECD Industries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0458, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Rachel Griffith & Stephen Redding & John Van Reenen, 2000. "Mapping the two faces of R&D: productivity growth in a panel of OECD industries," IFS Working Papers W00/02, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Par Hansson & Magnus Henrekson, 1994. "What makes a country socially capable of catching up?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(4), pages 760-783, December.
- F. Pigliaru, 1999.
"Detecting Technological Catch-Up in Economic Convergence,"
Working Paper CRENoS
199902, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Francesco Pigliaru, 2003. "Detecting Technological Catch-Up in Economic Convergence," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2-3), pages 161-178, 05.
- Pigliaru, Francesco, 2000. "Detecting Technological Catch-Up In Economic Convergence," ERSA conference papers ersa00p21, European Regional Science Association.
- Pack, Howard & Westphal, Larry E., 1986. "Industrial strategy and technological change : Theory versus reality," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 87-128, June.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paolo Bonomolo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.