Dynamics of work disability reporting in Europe
AbstractIn this paper we investigate the role of response styles in the dynamics of work disability reporting. Using the 2004 and 2006 waves of the Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe (SHARE), we document that in Europe surprisingly large fractions of individuals change their self-reported disability status within two years. We find that this dynamics can be largely explained by the fact that respondents change the way they evaluate the severity of work disability problems over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno" in its series "Marco Fanno" Working Papers with number 0104.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Work disability; vignettes; reporting heterogeneity.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2010-01-23 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBE-2010-01-23 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-EEC-2010-01-23 (European Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2010-01-23 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kapteyn, Arie & Smith, James P. & van Soest, Arthur, 2008.
"Dynamics of work disability and pain,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 496-509, March.
- Kapteyn, Arie & Smith, James P. & van Soest, Arthur, 2006. "Dynamics of Work Disability and Pain," IZA Discussion Papers 2057, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kapteyn, A. & Smith, J.P. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 2006. "Dynamics of Work Disability and Pain," Discussion Paper 2006-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kapteyn, A. & Smith, J.P. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 2008. "Dynamics of work, disability and pain," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-402842, Tilburg University.
- Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith & Arthur van Soest, 2006. "Dynamics of Work Disability and Pain," Working Papers 387, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Richard V. Burkhauser & Mary C. Daly, 2002. "Policy Watch: U.S. Disability Policy in a Changing Environment," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 213-224, Winter.
- James Banks & Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith & Arthur van Soest, 2005.
"Work Disability is a Pain in the *****, Especially in England, The Netherlands, and the United States,"
Labor and Demography
- James Banks & Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith & Arthur van Soest, 2009. "Work Disability is a Pain in the ****, Especially in England, the Netherlands, and the United States," NBER Chapters, in: Health at Older Ages: The Causes and Consequences of Declining Disability among the Elderly, pages 251-293 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Banks & Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith & Arthur van Soest, 2005. "Work Disability is a Pain in the *****, Especially in England, The Netherlands, and the United States," Working Papers 280, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith & Arthur van Soest, 2007.
"Vignettes and Self-Reports of Work Disability in the United States and the Netherlands,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 97(1), pages 461-473, March.
- Kapteyn, A. & Smith, J.P. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 2007. "Vignettes and self-reports of work disability in the United States and the Netherlands," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-210598, Tilburg University.
- Agar Brugiavini & Tullio Jappelli & Guglielmo Weber, 2002. "The Survey on Health, Aging and Wealth," CSEF Working Papers 86, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabio Maria Manenti).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.