Policy Watch: U.S. Disability Policy in a Changing Environment
AbstractIn this paper we provide a context for evaluating the goals and effectiveness of current disability policy. We review the Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income programs and examine trends in disability benefit receipt and employment among working-age people with disabilities. We discuss the difficulties in crafting efficient and equitable programs for this difficult to target, heterogeneous population. We conclude that changes in policy rather than in underlying health are most likely behind the increases in disability benefit receipt and the declines in employment of working-age people with disabilities over the 1990s business cycle.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal Journal of Economic Perspectives.
Volume (Year): 16 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (Winter)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard V. Burkhauser & Mary C. Daly & Andrew J. Houtenville & Nigar Nargis, 2001. "Economic outcomes of working-age people with disabilities over the business cycle: an examination of the 1980s and 1990s," Working Paper Series 2001-07, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Mary C. Daly & Richard V. Burkhauser, 2000.
"The Supplemental Security Income program,"
Working Paper Series
2001-06, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Bound, John & Burkhauser, Richard V., 1999. "Economic analysis of transfer programs targeted on people with disabilities," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 51, pages 3417-3528 Elsevier.
- John Bound & Richard Burkhauser & Austin Nichols, 2001. "Tracking the Household Income of SSDI and SSI Applicants," Working Papers wp009, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith & Arthur van Soest, 2005.
"Self-reported Work Disability in the US and The Netherlands,"
Labor and Demography
- Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith & Arthur van Soest, 2004. "Self-reported Work Disability in the US and The Netherlands," Working Papers 206, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- David Autor & Mark Duggan, 2006.
"The Growth in the Social Security Disability Rolls: A Fiscal Crisis Unfolding,"
NBER Working Papers
12436, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David H. Autor & Mark G. Duggan, 2006. "The Growth in the Social Security Disability Rolls: A Fiscal Crisis Unfolding," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(3), pages 71-96, Summer.
- Kapteyn, A. & Smith, J.P. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 2007.
"Vignettes and self-reports of work disability in the United States and the Netherlands,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-210598, Tilburg University.
- Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith & Arthur van Soest, 2007. "Vignettes and Self-Reports of Work Disability in the United States and the Netherlands," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(1), pages 461-473, March.
- Viola Angelini & Danilo Cavapozzi & Omar Paccagnella, 2012. "Cross-Country Differentials in Work Disability Reporting Among Older Europeans," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 105(2), pages 211-226, January.
- Kapteyn, Arie & Smith, James P. & van Soest, Arthur, 2008.
"Dynamics of work disability and pain,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 496-509, March.
- Kapteyn, Arie & Smith, James P. & van Soest, Arthur, 2006. "Dynamics of Work Disability and Pain," IZA Discussion Papers 2057, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kapteyn, A. & Smith, J.P. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 2008. "Dynamics of work, disability and pain," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-402842, Tilburg University.
- Kapteyn, A. & Smith, J.P. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 2006. "Dynamics of Work Disability and Pain," Discussion Paper 2006-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith & Arthur van Soest, 2006. "Dynamics of Work Disability and Pain," Working Papers 387, RAND Corporation Publications Department.
- Viola Angelini & Danilo CAVAPOZZI & Omar PACCAGNELLA, 2010. "Dynamics of work disability reporting in Europe," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0104, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Arie Kapteyn & James P. Smith & Arthur VanSoest, 2005. "Vignettes and Self Reported Work Disability," Labor and Demography 0511005, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.