Financial Linkages and Business Cycles of Japan: An Analysis Using Financial Conditions Index
AbstractThis paper constructs a financial conditions index (FCI) for Japan, using vector autoregressions (VAR) and impulse responses functions, and then investigate the effect of financial shocks on business cycles of Japan. Based upon our estimation results, we found that, in addition to the trade channel, the financial linkage played a significant role in Japanese business downturn caused by the current global financial crisis, and that its effect has come mainly from fallen stock prices and exchange rate appreciation, but not from credit crunch or the financial accelerator mechanism as had been the case in the recession in the early 1990s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Osaka School of International Public Policy, Osaka University in its series OSIPP Discussion Paper with number 10E008.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
financial conditions index (FCI); financial linkages; international business cycle transmission; vector autoregressions; global financial crisis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G17 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Financial Forecasting and Simulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stéphanie Guichard & David Haugh & David Turner, 2009. "Quantifying the Effect of Financial Conditions in the Euro Area, Japan, United Kingdom and United States," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 677, OECD Publishing.
- Jan Hatzius & Peter Hooper & Frederic S. Mishkin & Kermit L. Schoenholtz & Mark W. Watson, 2010. "Financial Conditions Indexes: A Fresh Look after the Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 16150, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael B Devereux & James Yetman, 2010. "Financial deleveraging and the international transmission of shocks," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The international financial crisis and policy challenges in Asia and the Pacific, volume 52, pages 274-298 Bank for International Settlements.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Akiko Murashita).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.