Activation Strategies and the Performance of Employment Services in Germany, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom
AbstractStrategies to 'activate' the unemployed with the help of high-quality employment services have continuously gained importance in the policy debate. The purpose of this report is to examine how activation strategies and the performance of employment services are addressed in three countries which have undertaken considerable reforms in recent years, namely Germany, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. All three review countries have implemented a 'mutual obligations' approach. La question des stratégies pour « activer » les chômeurs avec l'aide de services de l'emploi compétents a continuellement pris de l'importance dans le débat politique. L'objet de ce rapport est d'examiner comment les stratégies d'activation et la performance des services de l'emploi sont formulées dans trois pays qui ont entrepris des réformes considérables ces dernières années : l'Allemagne, les Pays-Bas et le Royaume-Uni. Les trois pays examinés ont mis en place une approche dite « d'obligation mutuelle ».
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by OECD Publishing in its series OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers with number 42.
Date of creation: 08 Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J20 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - General
- J60 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - General
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- J68 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Public Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2007-01-28 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EEC-2007-01-28 (European Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Schneider, Jan & Fischer, Michael & Kovacheva, Vesela, 2008. "Migrants in the job centre: Qualitative findings on migrants' experiences with public employment support services in Germany," HWWI Research Papers 3-16, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Immervoll, Herwig, 2009.
"Minimum-Income Benefits in OECD Countries: Policy Design, Effectiveness and Challenges,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4627, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Herwig Immervoll, 2010. "Minimum Income Benefits in OECD Countries: Policy Design, Effectiveness and Challenges," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 100, OECD Publishing.
- Bukowski, Maciej & Lewandowski, Piotr & Koloch, Grzegorz & Baranowska, Anna & Magda, Iga & Szydlowski, Arkadiusz & Bober, Magda & Bieliński, Jacek & Zawistowski, Julian & Sarzalska, Malgorzata, 2008. "Employment in Poland 2007: Security on flexible labour market," MPRA Paper 14284, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kelly, Elish & McGuinness, Seamus & O'Connell, Philip J., 2011. "What Can Active Labour Market Policies Do?," Papers EC1, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Pierre Koning & C.J. Heinrich, 2009.
"Cream-skimming, parking and other intended and unintended effects of performance-based contracting in social welfare services,"
CPB Discussion Paper
134, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Koning, Pierre & Heinrich, Carolyn J., 2010. "Cream-Skimming, Parking and Other Intended and Unintended Effects of Performance-Based Contracting in Social Welfare Services," IZA Discussion Papers 4801, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- McGuinness, Seamus & O'Connell, Philip J. & Kelly, Elish & Walsh, John R., 2011. "Activation in Ireland: An Evaluation of the National Employment Action Plan," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number RS20.
- Barbara Hofmann, 2012. "Short- and Long-term Ex-Post Effects of Unemployment Insurance Sanctions," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 232(1), pages 31-60, January.
- Lourens Broersma & Arjen Edzes & Jouke van Dijk, 2011. "Have Dutch Municipalities Become More Efficient in Managing the Costs of Social Assistance Dependency? (refereed paper)," ERSA conference papers ersa10p177, European Regional Science Association.
- Barbara Hofmann, 2008. "Work Incentives? Ex Post Effects of Unemployment Insurance Sanctions - Evidence from West Germany," CESifo Working Paper Series 2508, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.