A macroeconomic balance measure of New Zealand's equilibrium exchange rate
AbstractWe estimate the fair value of the New Zealand dollar using the macroeconomic balance approach. The model's elasticities are calibrated so that they are more appropriate to a small commodity-exporting economy. Over the 1990s, the model estimates that the fair value for the TWI fluctuated between 52 and 59. For the final quarter of 1999, the model estimates that a TWI of around 56 would have been consistent with macroeconomic balance, implying that the TWI (which was around 54.5) was then approximately at fair value. However, this result is subject to a significant amount of uncertainty.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Reserve Bank of New Zealand in its series Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series with number DP2000/09.
Date of creation: Dec 2000
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gemma Mabin, 2010. "New Zealand's Exchange Rate Cycles: Evidence and Drivers," Treasury Working Paper Series 10/10, New Zealand Treasury.
- Axel Grossmann & Marc Simpson & Teofilo Ozuna, 2014. "Investigating the PPP hypothesis using constructed U.S. dollar equilibrium exchange rate misalignments over the post-bretton woods period," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 235-268, April.
- Aaron Drew & Özer Karagedikli, 2008.
"Some benefits of monetary policy transparency in New Zealand,"
Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series
DP2008/01, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Aron Drew & Özer Karagedikli, 2007. "Some Benefits of Monetary-Policy Transparency in New Zealand," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 57(11-12), pages 521-539, December.
- Rebecca L Driver & Peter F Westaway, 2005. "Concepts of equilibrium exchange rates," Bank of England working papers 248, Bank of England.
- Chris McDonald, 2012. "Kiwi drivers the New Zealand dollar experience," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Analytical Notes series AN2012/02, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Hali J. Edison & Francis Vitek, 2009. "Australia and New Zealand Exchange Rates," IMF Working Papers 09/7, International Monetary Fund.
- Hali Edison & Francis Vitek, 2009. "Exchange rate assessments for Australia and New Zealand," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(2), pages 155-176, May.
- Simon Wren-Lewis, 2004. "A model of Equilibrium Exchange Rates for the New Zealand and Australian dollar," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP 2004/07, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- David Hargreaves & Elizabeth Watson, 2011. "Sudden stops, external debt and the exchange rate," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 74, pages 1-11, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reserve Bank of New Zealand Knowledge Centre).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.