Additional Notes on the Comparative Statics of Constrained Optimization Problems
AbstractThese are additional notes relating to the paper `The Comparative Statics of Constrained Optimization Problems' which is appearing in Econometrica. It gathers together material present in various earlier versions of the paper, as well as some new material, which are not found in the published article or in its Supplement (both available at the journal website). In particular, these notes establish conditions for the existence of increasing selections. It also includes two simple applications of our techniques: to find conditions for gross substitutability of a demand function and conditions for increasing best response in a model of Bertrand competition. These notes are not meant to be a self-contained account of the theory, so are best consulted after reading the main paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford in its series Economics Papers with number 2006-W09.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: 14 Aug 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.nuff.ox.ac.uk/economics/
concavity; supermodularity; comparative statics; increasing selection; gross substitutability; Bertrand competition;
Other versions of this item:
- John Quah, 2006. "Additional Notes on the Comparative Statics of Constrained Optimization Problems," Economics Series Working Papers 2006-W09, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hens, Thorsten & Loeffler, Andras, 1995. "Gross substitution in financial markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 39-43, July.
- John K.-H Quah, 2007. "The Comparative Statics of Constrained Optimization Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(2), pages 401-431, 03.
- Milgrom, P. & Shannon, C., 1991.
"Monotone Comparative Statics,"
11, Stanford - Institute for Thoretical Economics.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1990. "Rationalizability, Learning, and Equilibrium in Games with Strategic Complementarities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1255-77, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.