FDI in the Restructuring of the Japanese Economy
AbstractThis paper examines how inward and outward foreign direct investment (FDI) have influenced the restructuring of the Japanese economy and can be expected to continue to do so in the future. We find that outward investment has helped Japanese firms to sustain foreign market shares and contributed to the restructuring of the Japanese economy away from older industries. By shifting from exporting to affiliate production, there has been a geographical reallocation of the activities of Japanese firms, particularly those of multinational manufacturing firms. However, Japanese outward FDI is still not very large relative to the Japanese economy, despite the rapid growth since the mid-1980s, and there is still scope for significant increase when compared with the levels of most other OECD countries. Inward FDI will presumably have an even stronger impact on the restructuring of the Japanese economy. Although the stock of inward foreign direct investment is still very small, there are important changes under way. Deregulation has opened up much of the industrial and service sectors to foreign multinationals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 7693.
Date of creation: May 2000
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Blomstrom, Magnus, Byron Gangnes, and Sumner La Croix. Japan's new economy: Continuity and change in the twenty-first century. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2001.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lipsey, Robert E. & BlomstrÃ¶m, Magnus & Ramstetter, Eric, 1995.
"Internationalized Production in World Output,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
80, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Takatotshi Ito, 1996. "Japan and the Asian Economies: A 'Miracle' in Transition," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 27(2), pages 205-272.
- David E. Weinstein, 1996.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Keiretsu: Rethinking Us and Japanese Policy,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1750, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- David E. Weinstein, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Keiretsu: Rethinking U.S. and Japanese Policy," NBER Chapters, in: The Effects of U.S. Trade Protection and Promotion Policies, pages 81-116 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David E. Weinstein, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment and Keiretsu: Rethinking U.S. and Japanese Policy," NBER Working Papers 5612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fukunari Kimura & Kozo Kiyota, 2004. "Enhancing the Benefits for India and Other Developing Countries in the Doha Development Agenda Negotiations," Working Papers, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan 510, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- RenÃ© Belderbos & Kyoji Fukao & Keiko Ito & Wilko Letterie, 2013.
"Global Fixed Capital Investment by Multinational Firms,"
Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science,
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 80(318), pages 274-299, 04.
- René BELDERBOS & FUKAO Kyoji & ITO Keiko & Wilko LETTERIE, 2010. "Global Fixed Capital Investment by Multinational Firms," Discussion papers 10044, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Corduneanu, Carmen & Iovu, Laura Raisa, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Regional Development in Romania," MPRA Paper 12926, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.