A Markup Interpretation of Optimal Rules for Irreversible Investment
AbstractWe re-examine the basic investment problem of deciding when to incur a sunk cost to obtain a stochastically fluctuating benefit. The optimal investment rule satisfies a trade-off between a larger versus a later net benefit; we show that this trade-off is closely analogous to the standard trade-off for the pricing decision of a firm that faces a downward sloping demand curve. We reinterpret the optimal investment rule as a markup formula involving an elasticity that has exactly the same form as the formula for a firm's optimal markup of price over marginal cost. This is illustrated with several examples.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 5971.
Date of creation: Mar 1997
Date of revision:
Note: IO PR
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Dixit, Avinash K. & Pindyck, Robert S. & Sødal, Sigbjørn., 1997. "A markup interpretation of optimal rules for irreversible investment," Working papers WP 3945-97., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice and Growth, Financing, Investment, and Capacity
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Calderon, Cesar & Loayza, Norman & Serven, Luis, 2000. "External sustainability : a stock equilibrium perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2281, The World Bank.
- Gianluca Baio & Laura Magazzini & Antonio Nicita & Fabio Pammolli & Massimo Riccaboni, 2003. "Il Decreto DL 15/04/2002, n. 63 sul Contenimento della Spesa Farmaceutica," Working Papers 0-2003, Competitività Regole Mecati (CERM).
- Arunish Chawla, 2008. "Multinational Firms, Monopolistic Competition and Foreign Investment Uncertainty," CEP Discussion Papers dp0866, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Jamet, Stephanie, 2004. "Irreversibility, uncertainty and growth," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1733-1756, July.
- Sodal, Sigbjorn, 1998. "A simplified exposition of smooth pasting," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 217-223, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.