Transfers, Taxes, and the NAIRU
AbstractJust as war is too important to be left to the generals, the impact of taxes and transfers on the aggregate unemployment rate is too important to be left to the macroeconomists. I therefore subject the issue of how tax and transfer policy affects unemployment and aggregate supply to a detailed, microeconomic examination of the effects of individual tax and transfer program structures. This inductive approach is, I believe, likely to provide a far better guide to discovering how changes in these policies have worked through the economy than would a macroeconomic approach that ignored the programs' complexities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 0548.
Date of creation: Jun 1981
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamermesh, Daniel S, 1979. "Entitlement Effects, Unemployment Insurance and Employment Decisions," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 17(3), pages 317-32, July.
- Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Wachter, Michael L., 1979. "A production function--nonaccelerating inflation approach to potential output : Is measured potential output too high?," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 113-163, January.
- Herbert Grubel & Dennis Maki, 1976. "The effects of unemployment benefits on U. S. Unemployment rates," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 112(2), pages 274-299, June.
- G. Burtless & J. A. Hausman, 1977.
"The Effect of Taxation on Labor Supply: Evaluating the Gary Negative Income Tax Experiment,"
211, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Burtless, Gary & Hausman, Jerry A, 1978. "The Effect of Taxation on Labor Supply: Evaluating the Gary Negative Income Tax Experiments," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 1103-30, December.
- Boskin, Michael J, 1977. "Social Security and Retirement Decisions," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 15(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Parsons, Donald O, 1980. "The Decline in Male Labor Force Participation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 117-34, February.
- George J. Borjas & James J. Heckman, 1978. "Labor Supply Estimates For Public Policy Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 0299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pellechio, Anthony J, 1979. "Social Security Financing and Retirement Behavior," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 284-87, May.
- Frank Brechling, 1981. "Layoffs and Unemployment Insurance," NBER Chapters, in: Studies in Labor Markets, pages 187-208 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grant, James H & Hamermesh, Daniel S, 1981.
"Labor Market Competition among Youths, White Women and Others,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 63(3), pages 354-60, August.
- James H. Grant & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1980. "Labor Market Competition among Youths, White Women, and Others," NBER Working Papers 0519, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burkhauser, Richard V & Turner, John A, 1978. "A Time-Series Analysis on Social Security and Its Effect on the Market Work of Men at Younger Ages," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(4), pages 701-15, August.
- Jonathan S. Leonard, 1979. "The Social Security Disability Program and Labor Force Participation," NBER Working Papers 0392, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baily, Martin Neil, 1977. "On the Theory of Layoffs and Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(5), pages 1043-63, July.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M & Neumann, George R, 1979. "An Empirical Job-Search Model, with a Test of the Constant Reservation-Wage Hypothesis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(1), pages 89-107, February.
- Katarzyna Budnik, 2008. "Non-accelerating wage inflation rate of unemployment in Poland," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 48, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Murphy, Kevin J. & Payne, James E., 2003. "Explaining change in the natural rate of unemployment: A regional approach," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 345-368.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.