Ridge Estimators for Distributed Lag Models
AbstractThe paper explains how the Almon polynominal lag specification can be made stochastic in two different ways - one suggested by Shiller and another following the lines of Lindley and Smith. It is shown that both the estimators can be considered as modified ridge estimators. The paper then compares these modified ridge estimators with the ridge estimator suggested by Hoerl and Kennard. It is shown that for the estimation of distributed lag models the ridge estimator suggested by Hoerl and Kennard is not useful but that the modified ridge estimators corresponding to the stochastic versions of the Almon lag are promising. The paper has two empirical illustrations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 0069.
Date of creation: Oct 1974
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul W. Holland, 1973. "Weighted Ridge Regression: Combining Ridge and Robust Regression Methods," NBER Working Papers 0011, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zellner, Arnold & Geisel, Martin S, 1970. "Analysis of Distributed Lag Models with Application to Consumption Function Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(6), pages 865-88, November.
- Shiller, Robert J, 1973. "A Distributed Lag Estimator Derived from Smoothness Priors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 775-88, July.
- Leamer, Edward E, 1972. "A Class of Informative Priors and Distributed Lag Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(6), pages 1059-81, November.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1975. "Alternative Prior Representations of Smoothness for Distributed Lag Estimation," NBER Working Papers 0089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John F. Wilson, 1976. "Have geometric lag hypotheses outlived their time? some evidence in a Monte Carlo framework," International Finance Discussion Papers 82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.