Financing constraints, fixed capital and R&D investment decisions of belgian firms
AbstractThis paper aims at assessing the relationship between the possible existence of financial constraints and the decisions of Belgian private firms as regards their investments in both capital and R&D investments over the last decade. The main system GMM estimates from the error-correction equations indicate that the sensitivity of both types of investments to cash flow variations are rather differentiated. On the whole, these effects are more important for investments in ordinary assets, young small-scale firms located in the Walloon region that are not part of a multinational. Firms that perform R&D on a permanent basis and that receive public funds to support these activities appear to be less cash constraints.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bank of Belgium in its series Working Paper Research with number 32.
Length: 58 pages
Date of creation: May 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Boulevard de Berlaimont 14, B-1000 Bruxelles
Phone: (+ 32) (0) 2 221 25 34
Fax: (+ 32) (0) 2 221 31 62
Web page: http://www.nbb.be
More information through EDIRC
financial constraints; investments in capital and R&D; Belgian private companies; error-correction investment equations; system GMM panel data econometric models;
Other versions of this item:
- Michele Cincera, 2003. "Financing constraints, fixed capital and R&D investment decisions of Belgian firms," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/883, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joanna Tyrowicz, 2009.
"Blame No One? Investment Decisions Of The Polish Stock-listed Companies,"
2009-06, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Joanna Tyrowicz, 2007. "Blame No One ?Investment Decisions of the Polish Stock-Listed Companies," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 50(4), pages 391-410.
- Tyrowicz, Joanna, 2007. "Blame No One? Investment Decisions of the Polish Stock-listed Companies," MPRA Paper 15199, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michele Cincera, 2004.
"Impact of market entry and exit on EU productivity and growth performance,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/921, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michele Cincera & Olivia Galgau, 2005. "Impact of market entry and exit on EU productivity and growth performance," European Economy - Economic Papers 222, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Michele Cincera & Olivia Galgau, 2005. "Impact of Market Entry and Exit on EU Productivity and Growth Performance," Industrial Organization 0503013, EconWPA.
- García-Quevedo, José & Pellegrino, Gabriele & Vivarelli, Marco, 2011. "R&D Drivers in Young Innovative Companies," IZA Discussion Papers 6136, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- José García-Quevedo & Gabriele Pellegrino & Marco Vivarelli, 2011.
"The determinants of YICs’ R&Dactivity,"
2011/31, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Alfredo Bobillo & Juan Rodriguez Sanz & Fernando Tejerina Gaite, 2009. "Investment Decisions, Liquidity, and Institutional Activism: An International Study," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 87(1), pages 25-40, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.