Robustness for Dummies
AbstractIn the robust statistics literature, a wide variety of models have been developed to cope with outliers in a rather large number of scenarios. Nevertheless, a recurrent problem for the empirical implementation of these estimators is that optimization algorithms generally do not perform well when dummy variables are present. What we propose in this poper is a simple solution to this involving the replacement of the sub-sampling step of the maximization procedure by a projection-based method. This allows us to propose robust estimators involving categorical variables, be they explanatory of dependent. Some Monte Carlo simulations are presented to illustrate the good behavior of the method.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Namur, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 1206.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
S-estimators; robust regression; dummy variable; outliers;
Other versions of this item:
- Vincenzo Verardi & Marjorie Gassner & Darwin Ugarte, 2012. "Robustness for dummies," United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meetings 2012 09, Stata Users Group.
- Vincenzo Verardi & Marjorie Gassner & Darwin Ugarte Ontiveros, 2012. "Robustness for Dummies," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2012-015, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-06 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rousseeuw, Peter J. & Wagner, Joachim, 1994. "Robust regression with a distributed intercept using least median of squares," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 65-76, January.
- Croux, Christophe & Haesbroeck, Gentiane, 2003. "Implementing the Bianco and Yohai estimator for logistic regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 273-295, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-H�l�ne Mathieu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.