The vouchers scheme as a mechanism of public support allocation in theory and practice
AbstractSport support at the municipal level has a long tradition, especially in Europe. Youth involvement to the sport is usually one of the important aspects of grant policies. There are questions regarding how to allocate public resources more efficiently and how to increase youth participation in sport. We analyze the sport vouchers as a tool for increasing transparency and efficiency as well as the involvement of youth and their parents in sport policy at the local level. Vouchers typically transfer purchasing power to the client. Using sport vouchers as a tool for allocating public resources is still quite rare, though some attempts with sport vouchers were made in the Australia, UK and there are examples of sport vouchers in the Czech Republic. The aim of the paper is to discuss the vouchers as an alternative method of sport support at the municipality level and identify strengths and weaknesses of this method. Finally we formulate recommendation for implementation the voucher system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Masaryk University, Faculty of Economics and Administration, Department of Public Economics in its series Working Papers with number 13.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2013
Date of revision: Dec 2013
sport; vouchers; transparency; grant; voucher scheme;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L31 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Nonprofit Institutions; NGOs
- H76 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Other Expenditure Categories
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R—mulo A. Chumacero & Ricardo D. Paredes, 2012. "Vouchers, choice, and public policy: An overview," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 39(2 Year 20), pages 115-122, December.
- Abiy Agiro & Jonathan Matusitz, 2011. "Housing Vouchers, Benefits and Allowances (VBAs): Comparing Rental Tools in the US, England and the Netherlands," International Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 71-88.
- Stuart Peacock & Leonie Segal, 2000. "Capitation funding in Australia: Imperatives and impediments," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 77-88, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.